• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help in choosing plants - specifically for a tall aquarium

donalo

Seedling
Hi All,

I have a very much low-tech aquarium (first tank and I'm pretty much a newbie!). The aquarium itself is a hexagonal shaped 60litre aquarium. It's a very deep/tall aquarium and I am looking for some help in choosing some plants that (1) are easy to maintain and (2) would grow reasonably tall. The tank is up and running over 1.5 years now.

When I first got the tank I was unaware about substrates, etc so I just have basic gravel in there (about 2cm). I added more gravel in recent months and left the light on more and I notice the plants are doing better (maybe this is just a coincidence?!). I have Java Fern Windev (sorry not 100% if that is correct name) and another plant which is doing quite well. I am going to attach the Java Fern to some Bogwood later this week.

Is there any other basic steps I could take to help the plants thrive more and what plants would look well planted in the background of the tank that are easy to grow?

Cheers in advance :)

Vallis (many species and varieties), Crinum?

How tall is your tank? It can't be ridiculously tall if it's only 60l? Dimensions would make it easier to make plant suggestions.

Best regards,

Mark

Tank height is in/around 2 feet high.

Also just found out about the lighting on the tank: 1 X 11W

Hope this helps.

I meant to ask also as my tank is already up and running is there any way of adding substrate to it or is that out of the question?

Thanks for the replies so far :)

I think you'd be best to stick to java ferns, anubias and moss on a few large, twisty pieces of wood with that little lighting. 1, 11w bulb would be low light on a 25l tank so it's really low for a tank 2 foot deep! I don't think Crinums would do well I'm afraid, certainly not the C.calmistratum I have. You could also try some Cryptocorynes in the lower regions of the tank too.

The other things you want to do to improve things is look at adding CO2 and fertilising your tank. With a tank that size you could even use Excel or EasyCarbo instead of CO2. Once you're happy with dosing and CO2 you could then think about upping your lighting to give you a wider choice of plants that will do well.

I would at least get another 11w to be honest. 11w over your tank, especially considering its height is nothing.

donalo said:
Also ask also as my tank is already up and running is there any way of adding substrate to it or is that out of the question?

Thanks for the replies so far :)

You already have substrate. I think what you mean is a nutrient rich substrate (or adding to the existing? ), you don't mention anything about fish in the tank! If you don't have any then changing the substrate shouldn't be a problem. The plants will survive (and probably thrive) a change of substrate, but unless you can re-home fish whilst this is done it is difficult.

I don't think this change should be a priority. As you have a low tech, low light tank (and given the depth = even less light) you are restricted with the plants that will thrive in such conditions. Some careful consideration is required. I've not tried this sort of set-up myself but I'm sure others will help. Best of luck and keep us informed of the progress.

Back