• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me decide on a new set-up...

Aeropars

Hello All,

I've posted a couple of times in the lighting and hardware forums but as this question is all encompassing I figured I'd put it here.

I've just moved house and previously I was running a Juwel Rio 180. Its a bit scratched and a bit retro for my new lounge so I want something that looks contemporary and fits in with my new surroundings. This is where you guys can help me make a decision. All in I cannot spend more than £500.

Problems:
With the Juwel Rio I have some problems. I cant get the level of CO2 in there which I would like to have an algae free healthy tank. I have an Eheim Pro 3 2080 (i think) which at full whack can turn over 1500LPH. I also have a Koralia power head to supplement. I have an inline Hydor heater and an UpAqua inline CO2 diffuser. The size of my current tank is just a bit too big for the equipment I have to get a great flow and a great CO2 injection/distribution. On top of this the lighting is knackered so need new lighting. I've never had excellent growth (healthy, not speedy) and always struggled with something in this tank so I've decided on downsizing but using the same equipment. I plan on using cat litter for substrate and already have this.

Options:
I foresee I have 2 options:-

1) A custom Optiwhite 80x40x40 (128 liters). I would have to build or purchase a cabinet and this would push the budget to its maximum. LED lighting would be my preferred option but might not be a reality on this setup. Performance wise, how would this option compare with the 180l? I'd ideally use lily pipes and have flow directed from one end of the tank.

2) An off the shelf TMC signature 60x40x40 (96 liters). No building needed but is perhaps a smaller tank than I would like. LED lighting is more affordable for this tank and performance I am certain would be sufficient. As above, I'd use lily pipes in the same configuration.

So, my questions...

What tank would you go for and with what lighting?

If it were me, I'd stick with what I've got and make it work. With the equipment you have, there is no reason why it can't work. The filter is more than capable, and so is your chosen method for getting the gas into the tank.

You say your lights are knackered, why? What's wrong with them?

If you don't like the 'retro' look of the tank, build a new cabinet for it and remove the hood and centre brace. I'm sure that George Farmer did this with an old Juwel Rio he had a few years back. Then all you would need to do is invest in some new lighting which can be had cheap enough if you choose T5's, or slightly more if you choose the LED option.

Then use the rest of your budget for new plants, fish, ferts, possibly new reg if you feel the one you have isn't up to the job.

That's what I would do, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the tank is scratched and is getting on for 10 years old so I'd say I'm due another one :)

For the lights, the starter was damaged during the move and now doesn't work. I know George removed the brace but I think this was on a smaller tank. I would not risk removing the brace on the 180.

Plants, ferts and fish I already have so don't need to spend for this.

I would go for a 60cm tank....much easier to rescape and still keeping the costs within limits and also get super nice,and fast, results...
At the moment I have two tanks, 1 is 120x55x45 and one of 45x30x30, if I would do it again I would probebly go for a 60 and a 90 cm for the sam reasons as mentioned above.

I've already told you what you can do with your £500 :p lol

I know Rob. I'm just waiting for a quote back from ND Aquatics for the direct comparison however I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to build my own cabinet.

Specifically then, what lighting would you put on each tank? Been reading up on this PAR measurement and it seems a good idea to be able to adjust the height of the lights but no idea how do that. I've already been told that I should even think about hanging said lights from the ceiling :D

Well you know I have an 80 x 40 x 40 tank which is a size you said you'd be happy with and i'll be using the TMC stuff I have now. TMC Grobeam 600 Ultima Twin, TMC Aquaray controller, TMC Mountaray brackets (fix to side of tank) and TMC MMS mounting rails.

You don't need to worry about adjusting height as the controller allows you to set each of the two LED strips independently from 1 - 100% intensity and you can programme it to ramp up/down from I think it is 1 - 400 minutes. It's a pretty basic controller all said, but it allows you to have sunrise, on, then sunset. At start up while your plants are easing in you can run them low and simply adjust intensity as time goes by.

Sorry, it sounds like i'm really pushing this on you doesn't it lol.

As for the cabinet, well i do get your point. But if you did build your own it would be very satisfying no? And can be exactly to your tastes :)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it would be a nice project but time is limited to weekends and even then, the time is limited. Also, the ability for me to carry out a professional looking job is what worries me more. The design you showed was perfect for what I want, perhaps only with the addition of a gloss finish.

Incidentally, ND just mailed me:

Tropical Tank 80cm x 40cm x 40cm
12mm glass
Braceless
Cabinet, High Gloss Acrylic Anthracite Grey.
Optiwhite front and both sides

Price £519

Looks a decent price to me that with cabinet, i've heard their cabinets are very good too!

Mine was 10mm glass incidentally :)

I'm after an Optiwhite ideally and want something nicer looking.

Another consideration is that the ND Aquatics tank is on an 8 week lead time. :(

I'd like the bigger tank but think the smaller 60cm tank would be easier to manage and I would be more confident the kit I have would be able to grow things particularly well.

On the down side, I could only have smaller fish in there and there's some fish which I really like on the larger scale such as pearl gourami.

Another consideration is that the ND Aquatics tank is on an 8 week lead time.

They told me this as well, but had it in approx 2 weeks... lol. I think a few others had the same experience, they are probably covering their bums. You could ask, or tell them it is a gift for someone lol :)

Back