• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me identify this snail baby (ramshorn?)

maboleth

In reality this snail is only 3mm long. It looks to me like ramshorn, but has some spots like a bladder snail? It's the same snail on both images, but different angles.

If it is indeed ramshorn, is it red ramshorn snail or something else? I thought about keeping it in my main tank.

Attachments

• ram2.jpg
    ram2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 4,660
  • ram1.jpg
    ram1.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 320
Yep Brown Leopard Ramshorn. Keep and breed and then you can sell them on. There are more colours being bread with the Leopard spotting now. the brown look the best though IMHO so far.

I have Blue Leopard, Pink Galaxy, Red/Pink, Standard Wild brown, Brown Leopard, Blue and Gold. Looking to find some Gold Galaxy ones.

Oh! I'd love to have Pink & Red Galaxy ones. :O They are so rare where I live.

I have red ramshorns and initially all the offspring were red however after some time brown spotted ones exactly like this started to appear. I assume it must be some combination of rare recessive genes that produces them as only a tiny proportion of all the offspring show this pattern.

It's a pity if that colorful gene is not as dominant as it should be.

By the way, these little guys ate cyano from the rock I put in the jar in no time. Together with MTS they cleaned the rock entirely from cyano, diatoms and some kind of black slime that looked like BBA.

I've read a lot about ramshorns eating cyano, it's actually why I got them, but mine don't seem to touch it although I don't doubt for a second that they can/will based on the number of reports I've seen of exactly that.
I've been assuming that they only do so as a last resort when NO other algae is available to them but I also saw a thread on a snail specific forum where someone who seemed to know their stuff said there are actually two different species of ramshorn/red ramshorn that are almost indistinguishable and only one of them eats cyano.
Either way, make sure you keep a breeding population of yours that do eat it.

Well these guys on the photo above do eat cyano. How much and how often I cannot say. I tested it in a jar, so it was a confined space without other food except that rock with algae.

Back