• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Me Spec My New Setup

Aeropars

Hi all,

Originally posted in the general forum but didnt get a reply so thought it might be better placed here.

I'm after a new setup and am going to buy everything new. I've been involved in fishkeeping for years and have evolved to where i am now, mainly on a budget. So i'm treating myself to a new setup, without too much consideration to money.

I need the following:
  • Tank & Cabinet
  • Filter
  • Lighting

Tank:
I'm after a new high tech planted setup. Maximum width is 120cm but it cant be a deep tank. My current tank depth is 41cm so would like to keep it somewhere around this. Tank has to have a lid. I quite like the Fluval Shaker cabinet but really dont like the idea of a drilled tank. Plus i'm not sure exactly how well my filter choice would fit on the proprietory hose connectors. Additionally, it seems like some of the lighting options i've been looking at can't operate inside the tank and require to have access to the open air. I'q quite like to have a blackout lid to keep light spill to a minimum.

Filter:
I've pretty much set on an Oase Biomaster Thermal 850 but would love to hear any counters to this.

Lighting:
I really liked the customisable nature of the Chihiros WRGB II. But know theres other lighting out there which may be similar. Fluval plant 3.0 also seemed decent, and cheaper but perhaps lacks some of the capabilities of the Chihiros.

So with all that said, what would you guys recommend? Be really interested to hear your thoughts

Also ask OA Aquatics for a quote on building a tank to your specification, worth a try to see if it's cheaper!

Thanks both.

Those Oase are expensive! Whats so good about them that makes them premium?

I see both brands ship with lighting included. Is this of good quality, so that i could forget about the Chihirios? Was quite looking forward to having a play with that!

Thanks both.

Those Oase are expensive! Whats so good about them that makes them premium?
It's more that the Fluval Shaker series is a cheap/low end product. They are very low end aquariums with high iron glass and low quality cabinet materials.

Oase on the other hand uses low iron glass, high quality cabinet materials, and is a premium/high end product.
I see both brands ship with lighting included. Is this of good quality, so that i could forget about the Chihirios? Was quite looking forward to having a play with that!
I'm not sure about the lighting that comes with either but, I would only go with a high output/priced light like the WRGB II if you plan to run a high tech tank at extreme high lighting/CO2 levels. Otherwise it's a waste of money imo(many successful grow vibrant beautiful tanks, even high tech, with modest lighting).

Thanks for the reply.

I was quite impressed on the quality of the Fluval cabinet to be honest. certainly in comparison to the Juwel one i have now. I'm guessing the D-D tanks is float glass? Can't see any mention of Optiwhite.

On the lighting, it was more around the customisation of spectrum for colour rendition and dimmable capabilities that attracted me to the Chihiros. I've been led to beleive that stock lighting generally is of low output so would likely need upgrading to get the best out of a planted tank.

I was quite impressed on the quality of the Fluval cabinet to be honest. certainly in comparison to the Juwel one i have now
Juwel has updated its cabinet design and it is much better quality. Better than the Fluval imo. Also if Oase is not in budget you could actually do a lot worse than go with a Juwel Rio and its upgraded Multilux lighting system. The powerhead that comes with the Biomaster filter easily creates enough flow for a high-energy tank too. I actually prefer Juwel tanks and equipment to Fluval. Perhaps take another look...

Thanks for the reply.

I was quite impressed on the quality of the Fluval cabinet to be honest. certainly in comparison to the Juwel one i have now.
Quality cabinets are made with high quality hardwood plywood that is coated with many coats of a waterproof coating.

Cheap cabinets are made with MDF, or in worst case scenario Particle Board, thinly coated in a water permeable coating.

The price of these vary greatly and this along with low iron glass, fit and finish, silicone quality, and of Coarse brand name lol is the main reason for price differences between different tank set options.
I'm guessing the D-D tanks is float glass? Can't see any mention of Optiwhite.
No idea on that one but generally, if a company doesn't list the glass type, it's just standard cheap low clarity high iron glass(I'm looking at you Fluval🤨). The brand doesn't matter as much as the iron content...
On the lighting, it was more around the customisation of spectrum for colour rendition and dimmable capabilities that attracted me to the Chihiros. I've been led to beleive that stock lighting generally is of low output so would likely need upgrading to get the best out of a planted tank.
Many included lighting systems as well as low cost systems offer these features these days but, I'm not sure about the particular ones you're interested in(check the product literature or email company for clarification).

Shoot for an RGB or RGB+W light with high CRI/TM-30 rating if you want accurate colour rendition and make sure it has seperately adjustable lighting channels(emitter level dimming) for customization.

For a cheap option I recommend the Nicrew SkyLED RGB+W 24/7. Stay away from the Fluval Plant 3.0 if you value colour rendition as it is low CRI(mediocre spectrum too) and it's value is poor compared to other options imo.

For some costly options I recommend the AI Blade Freshwater, AI Prime Freshwater(Point Source Light), Chihiros WRGB 2 Pro, or Chihiros WRGB 2.

Or you could go for a braceless open topped optiwhite tank and use clear polycarbonate as a lid. Then you're free to accessorise at will with whatever light you like, etc. Neither of my cats could care less about my aquarium, except when they're thirsty, particularly my old boy, Scruffy...

IMG_2915.JPG

I'm with @Tim Harrison...

But, I use D&D Jump Guard lids and light risers custom made(this morning) out of a black plastic cutting board😂.

Those are the cheap lights I suggested in the pics by the way...

Last edited:
I did discuss that with the wife and was promptly shut down. The open light was the deal breaker there :(

But that's a cracking looking set-up you have there!
You could build(or buy) a hood to hide the light that matches your decor. That may get the wife approval...

I also suggest giving into something she wants in exchange😁. Concessions are part of a healthy relationship👍.

I tried…. And failed with the open top discussion 😂

Going back looking at the Juwel 240 type aquariums (or even the Others mentioned), I wouldn’t be able to get the Chihiros light from what I understand as they have to be open air. Is there any other controllable light that would work in this scenario?

I had my heart set on that light as well. I love me a bit of smart tech!

Interesting! How do they compare output wise to the Chirhios?

Price seems comparable. Do I need a controller as well though?
Yes you do. I like the Helialux, adjustable and programmable in realtime on your phone.

The Juwel cabinet I have is 2 years old, think kitchen unit and that’s the quality. The front is heavily plasticised, the rest isn’t. It’s about half the price of an Oase tank I think so you get what you pay for I guess. Yep plain glass and the mandatory internal filter box that can be removed but with difficulty. I’m really pleased with it, it looks good, works well and I’ve no hankering for posh glass; my eyesight probably wouldn’t detect the difference anyway.
Cheers

Attachments

• 0A51DE41-D3F6-420D-B5AC-787884A49E59.png
    0A51DE41-D3F6-420D-B5AC-787884A49E59.png
    740.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Also ask OA Aquatics for a quote on building a tank to your specification, worth a try to see if it's cheaper!

Another vote for this! I have a 60x35x35 tank by them and have a 90x40x40 by them arriving next week, really impressed with the quality for the price, I'd take it over an Oase Scaperline any day (plus it's cheaper, but less built in cabinet accessories if you care about that stuff). My 90x40x40 was £565 but I paid £680 after some extra cabinet options and delivery to Scotland.

Another vote for this! I have a 60x35x35 tank by them and have a 90x40x40 by them arriving next week, really impressed with the quality for the price, I'd take it over an Oase Scaperline any day (plus it's cheaper, but less built in cabinet accessories if you care about that stuff). My 90x40x40 was £565 but I paid £680 after some extra cabinet options and delivery to Scotland.
Thanks for the reply. What lead time did you have? I had a look at their website and, assuming i got the right one, didnt have much in the way of cabinet options?
Yes you do. I like the Helialux, adjustable and programmable in realtime on your phone.

The Juwel cabinet I have is 2 years old, think kitchen unit and that’s the quality. The front is heavily plasticised, the rest isn’t. It’s about half the price of an Oase tank I think so you get what you pay for I guess. Yep plain glass and the mandatory internal filter box that can be removed but with difficulty. I’m really pleased with it, it looks good, works well and I’ve no hankering for posh glass; my eyesight probably wouldn’t detect the difference anyway.
Cheers
Thanks for that. Seems they have come further along in the cab quality since I bought my current Juwel around 18 years ago!

Thanks for the reply. What lead time did you have? I had a look at their website and, assuming i got the right one, didnt have much in the way of cabinet options?

You are welcome, I'm at work so can't properly check but I think I put the order in around November 2022. They don't advertise all their options, when speaking to them they seemed to do lots of things that weren't advertised on their website (like moving doors to the long thin of the cabinet as opposed to the large front side of the cabinet), different hinges etc. If you're after something specific I'd say it's worth contacting them as they seemed very accommodating and I've had quick response times in my experience.

Hi all,

Originally posted in the general forum but didnt get a reply so thought it might be better placed here.

I'm after a new setup and am going to buy everything new. I've been involved in fishkeeping for years and have evolved to where i am now, mainly on a budget. So i'm treating myself to a new setup, without too much consideration to money.

I need the following:
  • Tank & Cabinet
  • Filter
  • Lighting

Tank:
I'm after a new high tech planted setup. Maximum width is 120cm but it cant be a deep tank. My current tank depth is 41cm so would like to keep it somewhere around this. Tank has to have a lid. I quite like the Fluval Shaker cabinet but really dont like the idea of a drilled tank. Plus i'm not sure exactly how well my filter choice would fit on the proprietory hose connectors. Additionally, it seems like some of the lighting options i've been looking at can't operate inside the tank and require to have access to the open air. I'q quite like to have a blackout lid to keep light spill to a minimum.

Filter:
I've pretty much set on an Oase Biomaster Thermal 850 but would love to hear any counters to this.

Lighting:
I really liked the customisable nature of the Chihiros WRGB II. But know theres other lighting out there which may be similar. Fluval plant 3.0 also seemed decent, and cheaper but perhaps lacks some of the capabilities of the Chihiros.

So with all that said, what would you guys recommend? Be really interested to hear your thoughts
I am just returning to the hobby, but had something very similarly sized several years ago. What I clearly remember from then is that 'my next tank will have a sump'. Pretty sure a canister filter can handle things just fine, (mine did) but with a larger tank sump is just better (filtration/constant water level in the tank/hideout for all the equipment/surface skimming, etc). Unless the cabined doesn't allow for a sump. Yet again...it's been a few years, so some things may have changed.

Back