• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help - My Osaka 320 - My Tank Needs you

browning IRL

I am complete an utter novice in the World of aquascaping and planted tanks. I have recently purchased an OSAKA 320L tank and am in dire need of some vision as to how I can plan an attractive aquascape in my new tank. I have been mesmerised by the array of layouts and aquascapes I have seen and am about to pull the remainder of what little hair I have out before I settle on an appropriate design for my as yet barren 48 x 18 x 25 tank. What is challanging me most is the 18 inch breath of the tank versus the 25 inch depth and how this can be scaped attractively without looking to busy. I am minimalist by nature so the scape would need to encompass this ? I eventually would like to stock with tetra shoals. Not original I know but thats what I like. Given a minimalist scape what plants should I be looking at . I shall post photos of the tank as we go along and hopefully this might also help someone else along the way.

browning IRL said:
I am minimalist by nature so the scape would need to encompass this ? I eventually would like to stock with tetra shoals

that instantly says to me.... iwagumi. firstly, search through or google ADA amano and just look at his scapes for inspiration. then, when your chomping at the bit, visit somewhere like this for brilliant hard scape materials

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=1437

When I think minimal it's not really the type of plant that springs to mind (although there are a few I'd avoid) but the fact that not many different types are used and those that are are in large sweeps rather than small patches. The first thing that also springs to is an Iwagima scape with a large carpet and a few choice rocks for the hardscape, but that's just my mind...

Yep,Iwagumi deffo if you're minimalist,or have a look at Luiz monz's tank.I think that would look great with the styling of the Osaka too.
OOOooh,you have given yourself a challenge!!

I had already taken a Look at some of Amano tanks on http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNTMAf8KTI , I must admit they look stunning but yes quite challanging. In term of portion and positioning of the rockscrape have you any suggestions as to the size, number and providence of the rocks. I have already purchased a couple of rocks from aquaessentials just in term of trying to get a feel for the look and feel. As I live in Ireland though getting any qty/weight of rocks can be an issue, I am luckly enough to live right next door to a dis-used quarry with free access and as many free rocks as you could possibly ever want. These would be mainly shale or slate types . Given proper washing and selection would it be possible to use these given adequate thought into the selection of correct shapes, sizes that could either go in their current shaope or be battered and broken into the required form. An AMANO type scape really does appeal. In terms of plotting out the vision of the layout and positioning, any tips on how I should proceed ?

If I could offer some advice if this is your first time..
Whilst I'm not really a "scaper" as yet as learning to grow plants in an aquarium at the minute, all I can recommend is that you do everything right from the off and if you cut corners, you could be a left with an algae problem that you're running around to clear up for ages.
I'm sure that with help from all of us here plus information elsewhere, you'll be able to create some magic that you want in your tank.

Superman said:
If I could offer some advice if this is your first time..
Whilst I'm not really a "scaper" as yet as learning to grow plants in an aquarium at the minute, all I can recommend is that you do everything right from the off and if you cut corners, you could be a left with an algae problem that you're running around to clear up for ages.
I'm sure that with help from all of us here plus information elsewhere, you'll be able to create some magic that you want in your tank.

actually thast brilliant advice from superman. were all advising iwagumis hi maintenance scapes, and forgetting the basics of lighting co2 and ferts.

it would be advisable to look into the above first.

Cheers, Superman and Saintly for the sound advice. Im not in any hurry. Ive had a tank about 4 weeks and I just put the kit together yesterday. Ive been trying to read up and thats How I came acroos the UKAPS website. i havent stop reading still, maybe because the missus has stop talking to me as she now thinks I have a bad cause of Aquascape OCD. Sure what would she know.. :D

Saintly, I tried the PDF link on the ADA weblink you sent me and I got an error, did you get the same ?

browning IRL said:
Saintly, I tried the PDF link on the ADA weblink you sent me and I got an error, did you get the same ?

no, i just clicked on it and it opened. try again later

browning IRL said:
maybe because the missus has stop talking to me as she now thinks I have a bad cause of Aquascape OCD

:lol: welcome to the aquascaping world.

Thnks Saintly & Superman, I could open the link after, but I could not open the PDF for the download file. Did However find the article of use. Trying to understand the size, number and character of the rocks for the scrape will be the next challange given the dimension of the tank. 4ft long by 2ft high. This is what I need to get my head around. I have read George Farmer 3 set up guide articles and have and will continue to find them usefull reference material. Do you think that using an AMANO type design is best suiting to just one species of fish or could a small number of species be used in smaller shoal sizes ?

browning IRL said:
Do you think that using an AMANO type design is best suiting to just one species of fish or could a small number of species be used in smaller shoal sizes ?

if you go down the iwagumi route. you would typically use 1 type of fish in a large shoal or relative to the size tank. you would also use an algae clean up crew. ottos amano shrimp Siamese algae eaters.

Thnks Saintly, Given the size and depth of the tank i.e. 48 x 18 x 25 what would you in your opinion consider to be an appropriate shoal size as to avoid a.> to many b.> being lost in the tank

in a 4 footer like yours, you would initially start with an algae crew.you realy need the bacteria in your filter to build up before upping the numbers of fish in the aquarium . but you could work your way up to maybe 60 cardinals. maybe more if you had good filtration. i had a tank similar size to yours and had 70/80 fish in it with no problems.

this is same size tank as yours(slightly bigger in height) this was my first attempt at iwagumi. not all that good stone placement, but plant growth was ok. plants are glosso and vallis nana

_MG_9964-01.jpg

Thnks Saintly, Apart from Cardinals what else would you recommend, I have a soft spot for RED EYE Tetras or Rummy Noses. Would a jungle scrape or a jungle/iwamugi cross be in order if I looked to stock more than 1 species. Your tank looks great by the way . How long had this been running ??

browning IRL said:
How long had this been running ??

it looked at its best at about 3 months if i remember rightly. then it just over grew.

browning IRL said:
Would a jungle scrape or a jungle/iwamugi cross be in order if I looked to stock more than 1 species

that would be fine. the "true" iwagumi is about the minimal look hence the one variety.

Back