• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help - My Osaka 320 - My Tank Needs you

Hi Graham,

I have been busy since first posting trying to source materials and glean ideas from this forum and from as many sources as I could lay me eyes on. My goodlady in the mean time has threatened to murder both me and any other DHL, UPS or any another person possible coming to the house with anything tank,plant of fish related. Here are a few photos of the nealry empty tank. As you can see I have been messing around with some stone I got from Aqua Essentials.

dsc0422qt0.th.jpg

Richard in Aqua Essentials was of great help to me in selecting the hardscape which includes Mountain Rock and some mini landscape rock. Plant wise I am still undecided what type of carpet I am going to use. Due to the height of the tank I may use some tall or very tall vallis in the background. Decisions ? It will take me a while to finalise the layout of the hardscape to my satisfaction. Hopefully I can get some help along the way. In the meantime Lily pipes are on the way, clear pvc pipes and external heater are also organise for my fluval 405. I hope the divorce is cheaper than the tank :D

dsc0424xo5.th.jpg

Slowly but surely it will come together with a lot of help. Now that I have the hang of posting pictures you may watch this space. Thanks to all the forum members who have passed on information,pictures and suggestions. Keep them coming..

Cheers,

John

Well you seem to know what you're doing. Got a real nice tank to start off with.
I would suggest getting hold of some more hardscaping materials before you think about planting though.
Maybe just even a bit more rock, and some wood, if you don't mind stumping up a bit more cash.
It's a really tall tank so vallis is a good idea, but you don't want low lying rock placement with a jungle of massive vallis towing behind it.
Unless you plan on grading from background vallis to foreground with lots of well trimmed stem plants?

Hi Jay,

I am expecting a consigment of hardscape rocks from Aqua Essentials today so then the fun will begin.
I have ordered mountain rock and some mini landscape as well. The ones you see in the tank were just a trial run.
Due to the depth of the tank, getting the scale right will be really important. I am expecitng to find pieces of Mountain rock approx 24K between 2 pieces. So hopefully these shall make as much of a statement in the tank as they did on my credit card. Richard in AE pick out these pieces for me and having seen the pictures he sent me I really cant wait. Pictures will follow...

That is a lot of expensive rock. but, from what i have seen of it, well worth it.
Can't wait to see this tank with all the hardscape.

Good luck fella. :D

Here is a picture the first attempt to layout the scrap. It will be all stone, no wood I believe. I am looking for constructive comments on how it can be inproved or moved around to have the optimum impact.

DSC_0433.jpg

I still have some mini landscape pieces left and a very flat piece of Knife stone.Let me know what you think as this is my 1st ever attempt and I want to learn to do it correctly to maximise the look.

Cheers,

John

Here is a straight on picture from a different angle.

DSC_0432.jpg

Dont worry about the braces for the lighting, as these will go in time. Also those ugly Fluval ribbed pipes are being replaced and lily pipes will be added when they arrive. I am/will be looking for suggestions and tips on how to plant it up as the black 2-3mm gravel is going in tonight hopefully.

Cheers.

John

Personally, I wouldn't place any stones vertically up right. It doesn't seem natural.
Also, the formation of your rocks are a little too sporadic. Maybe bringing some closer together, and adding the smaller rocks closer around the larger rocks.
I reckon you could do with some more substrate for an iwagumi too.

That mountain rock looks great.

Jay,

Would you leave the pointed mountain rock upright, drop the right sided up vertical rock, bring them closer together then and introduce the remainder of the mini landscape. There is about 19kg of Tetra plant complete substrate in there. The rim on the tank tend to hide the depth. I also have 32kg of 2-3mm black gravel to go in.

Cheers,

John

jhon,

i'm finding with mini landscape rock, that it suits the horizontal approach quit well. maybe angle the most pointed rock at a 55 degree angle nothing more.

from your image i can see 5 in a horizontal position and 3 opposing them. now without going into a "iwagumi" lesson, try and get "flow" into the arrangement. look at the best "face" of each stone and place them according to the golden ratio and the rules of iwagumi for the best look :D

ADA catalogues are invaluable

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... Path=16_26

I understand about the bottom rim, but even so, the best way to bed rocks in an iwagumi is to do it deep. You want the rocks looking like they have been in the ground for years, not dropped onto the dirt.
The mountain rock in the middle seems fine. Te one laying down on the left looks like it has a good shape to it, maybe losing its potential just laying down there?
It's the spiky landscape rock on the right that is kind of out of place. Maybe if it was on a slant towards the mountain rock?

Check this ADA step by step for some ideas on iwagumi fundamentals.
http://www.adana.com.my/articles/iwagumi_2007.htm

Jay,
When I add the black gravel these rocks will be buried. they are just sitting on the substrate for now until a formation is decided . With regard to the flat mountain rock piece, this has an unusual shape which I was finding difficult to fit in standing vertically due to the shape. I shall stand it up to show you the shape and see what you think.

Cheers,

John

I have now lifted the flat mountain rock from the front left and brougth some of the others a bit closer and changed the alignment of the right vertical rock to pint back towards the other side of the tank.

DSC_0435.jpg

Comments ??

Cheers,

John

I think the placement is good. There is one thing I'm not sure about though. The two largest rocks are almost identical in height. It just seems odd when all the others are of varied sizes. Perhaps you could put one deeper into the substrate just to see?

A bit more moving around done. Arrived at the conclusion that both of the large mountain rocks could not fit in after much deliberation. Let me know what you think.

DSC_0494.jpg

Does it look a little busy ? If so what/which should I take out.

Cheers,

John

Much too busy, Look at amano's tanks for inspiration, you need more height and more tension, try and get a good sense of depth by forcing perspective.

Don't despair keep going as each photo gets better and better.

I agree the Garuf there's a bit too many rocks there. Although the largest one is looking good and like the overhang created on the right.

How about moving the big rock (left middle) to right of middle, lift the overhang bit up higher in the substrate with other rocks and point that in the opposite direction to the big rock. And place it about left of middle.

Thanks Clarke,

I have taken some more out and moved around others.

DSC_0498.jpg

I shall now look at a your suggestions and see how they go....

Cheers,

John

Back