Help needed for Betta tank

Fishydib

I’ve purchased a 30l Dennerle nano tank, just getting all the bits together. I have positioned the heater and powered double sponge filter into the tank but would like your views on where i have put them, is this ok? Should i moved anything etc.
This is going to house one male betta which i plan on rescuing from a place that keeps them in jam jars.
6F8E3A60-C0B6-43B9-8CAC-F2B59E009310.jpeg

david boden

Hi there.....I have exactly the same filter arrangement on one of my shrimp tanks , and it works very well too.
Just thought I'd mention that the narrow vertical air tube on the sponge filter needs to have the top end sealed.......I guess you already know this though.
I just heated mine ( very) carefully over a cigarette lighter, and then squeezed the tube end together.

Others more qualified may advise you on maturing your tank fully, and adding roots / plants to create a nice Betta environment.

Fishydib

Thanks for looking, yes regarding the air tube, will do that later once I’m ready to start scaping. I’ve got some nano rocks, sand, invitro plants etc being delivered tomorrow. Just need to decide how to scape it, will try out a few layouts tomorrow so I’m sure I’ll be back on here asking for advice. I will be doing a fishless cycle using ammonia despite MLF saying “ just fill up the tank and put the fish in”. My local aquarium shop is just across the road but I don’t like his attitude so he’s not getting my business, bought nearly all the stuff from Pro-shrimp.

Last edited:

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
This is going to house one male betta which i plan on rescuing from a place that keeps them in jam jars.
Good on you. I always want to do the same.
I will be doing a fishless cycle using ammonia despite MLF saying “ just fill up the tank and put the fish in”.
I wouldn't do either of those.

I suggest planting the tank up and then waiting for a few weeks, that way the filter and substrate will become colonised with a microbial assemblage that is much more appropriate for the eventual bioload.

Scientists have discovered a lot more about <"nitrification in recent years">, and one of those findings has been that the bacteria that we thought occurred in aquarium filters (and require high levels of ammonia and carbonate hardness) <"don't actually occur there">.

I like <"floating plants">, they have <"Diana Walstad's"> <"aerial advantage"> of access to atmospheric gases and they will help provide a suitable environment for your Betta. I'd always start the tank set up with floating plants and stems (I often use Ceratophyllum), even if I eventually removed them.

I can send you some moss, floaters, filter mulm, structural leaf litter etc. if you want to speed things up.

cheers Darrel

Fishydib

So let me get this, add the substrate, plant it up etc and run the heater/filter for a few weeks? Would i need to change any water or just let it get on with it?
Thanks for the offer but I can pinch some established bits from my friends tank, good idea to speed it up

Last edited:

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
So let me get this, add the substrate, plant it up etc and run the heater/filter for a few weeks?
Yes.

It isn't the ammonia that is the most important factor in "cycling", it is really oxygen that is the prime metric. <"Plants give you a lot more oxygen, and a lot more area in the substrate that is oxygenated">.
Would i need to change any water or just let it get on with it?
Yes you can change the water, I use frequent small water changes, others will use a bigger weekly water change. Some water changes are always a good idea
but I can pinch some established bits from my friends tank, good idea to speed it up
Perfect, get them to squeeze out a filter sponge (or rinse the ceramic media etc) then swirl your filter sponges around in the mulmy water. Take the sponge out and then put it into a take away container or similar, so it remains damp but fully oxygenated, until you can pop it back in your tank.

cheers Darrel

jameson_uk

Fishydib

Yes your right, Aquael pat mini, used it before combined with the twin sponge filter and it done a cracking job. I will make sure there’s plenty of plants and a spot where’s there’s not as much flow, I’ll be checking all this out before i rescue a betta. My substrate will be here tomorrow along with some invitro plants (need to buy a few tall plants). I did treat myself to the new fluval plant nano led light and will program this to suit the betta, just need to check out how much night and daylight they need.

The tank did come with a corner filter, but it makes me a bit twitchy with such a small amount of filter media, at least with the double sponge you can clean alternate sponges. Mind you i now have a spare filter and a spare light that also came with the tank, would be a shame for it to just sit in the cupboard, may have to sneak another nano in without hubby noticing.

Last edited:

jameson_uk

I’ll be checking all this out before i rescue a betta.
What type of Betta are you looking at? I originally wanted a half moon but wasn't sure they would cope with the flow (and when reducing the flow I wasn't sure the plants would be happy....).

Interested in how you get on as another Betta tank is on my list

Fishydib

To be honest I’m the type of person that will walk in to this LFS and take the one i feel the most sorry for, i know i should probably pick the one that looks the healthiest but we all need a break sometimes.

Saving one fish won’t change the world, but for that one fish the world will change forever

alto

i plan on rescuing from a place that keeps them in jam jars.
except it would be more effective if you went in and told the manager why you are NOT buying a Betta from their shop, and follow this up with an email to head office

Then support a shop that does care about their Bettas, not just once they are in store, but also sourcing from reputable breeders (and expect these Bettas to cost significantly more)

Most Big Box shops source their Bettas from wholesalers that import thousands each week, the Bettas remain in their small shipping bags until sold to shops, which then place them in the small jars
There are also Bettas that are placed in small cups and begin their journey, remaining in that unopened cup until finally sold to someone like me and you
As long as this continues to be a profitable trade, Bettas will continue to sell in this manner

Bon MotMot

To be honest I’m the type of person that will walk in to this LFS and take the one i feel the most sorry for, i know i should probably pick the one that looks the healthiest but we all need a break sometimes.

Saving one fish won’t change the world, but for that one fish the world will change forever
It can be so hard to decide which one to take home with you. Bettas are responsible for at least 2 out of the 5 tanks I have going now.

Fishydib

except it would be more effective if you went in and told the manager why you are NOT buying a Betta from their shop, and follow this up with an email to head office

Then support a shop that does care about their Bettas, not just once they are in store, but also sourcing from reputable breeders (and expect these Bettas to cost significantly more)

Most Big Box shops source their Bettas from wholesalers that import thousands each week, the Bettas remain in their small shipping bags until sold to shops, which then place them in the small jars
There are also Bettas that are placed in small cups and begin their journey, remaining in that unopened cup until finally sold to someone like me and you
As long as this continues to be a profitable trade, Bettas will continue to sell in this manner
This is very true but the guy that owns the setup does not report to a head office, he owns the whole lot. Like you say the only way is to not purchase from him at all but I’m sure by me not buying won’t make the slightest bit of difference unfortunately. All i can do is offer an unfortunate betta a lovely home and this is what i intend to do.

alto

No doubt your choice is a great story for the particular fish but nothing will change in that aspect of the Betta trade as long there are enough “you’s“ to keep it profitable

As you buy that fish, tell the shop owner your views, and don’t support the shop in other ways if you truly feel what they are doing is wrong

Fishydib

Well you’ll be pleased to hear that after visiting the said shop this afternoon, they no longer stock betta fish, the reason given when i asked why, was that there was little profit/request for them.

This was the only local shop near me that stocked betta fish, i dare say Maidenhead Aquatics sell them, when I’m ready to purchase I’ll give them a ring to see if they have any before i drive the distance. I’ve never purchased a fish online but if anyone knows of a really good place to purchase then i would appreciate the assistance.

Last edited:

Fishydib

Well I’ve washed my tank out, washed the gravel etc, i had two pieces of wood that I’ve washed/scrubbed and I’ve positioned these in the tank just to get a feel for how it looks. This morning i had some invitro plants delivered, will take the wood out tomorrow and attach my moss to it and plant up around the base. Any thoughts on what tallish plant i should go for to put at the back, something that a betta would like and will also hide the heater hopefully