Help needed for Betta tank

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
Any thoughts on what tallish plant i should go for to put at the back, something that a betta would like and will also hide the heater hopefully
You could try any out of Microsorum pteropus, Anubias barteri (both epiphytes, so fasten to the wood), Hygrophila corymbosa, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Cryptocoryne wendtii or Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii' etc.
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Hygrophila'Siamensis53B'(053B)/4493 perhaps. Grows pretty fast though so could takeover without regular trimming
Good choice.

cheers Darrel

Fishydib

Hi all, You could try any out of Microsorum pteropus, Anubias barteri (both epiphytes, so fasten to the wood), Hygrophila corymbosa, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Cryptocoryne wendtii or Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii' etc.Good choice.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel I’ll check those out this evening.

Fishydib

42B7D0B4-A410-4F84-B209-A64A2264A308.jpeg 20E65403-9F0D-4959-BEA9-AB63A721939B.jpeg E82392FD-180D-4D55-84AA-D401D56DC02A.jpeg C0D6AFEB-7356-4318-81BC-732B109B497A.jpeg 0136CFCC-3847-4088-8C46-02BDBA1E721C.jpeg 50B755E6-24D4-43F3-B6FA-4F08C69D7836.jpeg
Been testing the wood positions out in the tank, thoughts please

alto

Well you’ll be pleased to hear that after visiting the said shop this afternoon, they no longer stock betta fish, the reason given when i asked why, was that there was little profit/request for them.

This was the only local shop near me that stocked betta fish, i dare say Maidenhead Aquatics sell them, when I’m ready to purchase I’ll give them a ring to see if they have any before i drive the distance. I’ve never purchased a fish online but if anyone knows of a really good place to purchase then i would appreciate the assistance.

Sorry to hear you’ve lost your local Betta source

(I’d be happier hearing they did daily water changes on the jars, or switched to larger jars ... it is difficult to house Bettas in a shop situation, there are some commercial Betta rack systems now that offer filtration and more reasonable compartment size (often adjustable with movable dividers) but they tend to be expensive and not really the best solution when mixing fish from different sources (re disease transfer)
A friend built a custom system but it still ran 2K + and then balancing the filter flow is problematic - and the disease issue became apparent )

Some other Betta sources (Bettas ship very well)

Colin Dunlop’s The Fish Hut (FB link)

From another topic
As well as Neil's link there is Lisa Bradshaw,mentioned on the forum before ,LJB Aquatics based in Norfolk,article in Practical Fishkeeping who imports,breeds Bettas some of the fish will have any Betta fan impressed,she is on Facebook also probably known to the Betta groups
posted by @PARAGUAY

jameson_uk

Thanks for all the links for Betts sellers, I also came across this one yesterday that looks like a good place?
https://www.siambettauk.com/
Not heard of them before.

Lisa Bradshaw (LJB Aquatics) is currently taking a break from selling. Since Facebook cracked down on selling lots of sellers are trying different things.

https://band.us/page/75451277 is the Chen's link I was trying to post above. (It won't open on your phone unless you force it into desktop mode or install the band app)

Kalum

Siam and chen's are both very good sources, I got mine from chen's and I've not seen better quality of betta than what they offer

alto

I’m not in the UK but Chen’s does my style of fish (HMPK) - and takes very nice photos

But then I came across this (older) photo recently ... so nice to see a HM without RoseTail (or minimal Rt)

upload_2019-9-25_1-32-39.jpeg

(sorry no idea on the provenance of this fish or photo - I’ve always liked this fish )

Fishydib

I’m not in the UK but Chen’s does my style of fish (HMPK) - and takes very nice photos

But then I came across this (older) photo recently ... so nice to see a HM without RoseTail (or minimal Rt)

View attachment 127850

(sorry no idea on the provenance of this fish or photo - I’ve always liked this fish )
That’s a beautiful betta, I can’t believe there are so many different types and colours.

alto

Thanks for all the links for Betts sellers, I also came across this one yesterday that looks like a good place?
https://www.siambettauk.com/
They are rather stringent in their DOA policy

Most Betta Breeders will guarantee live fish even after you open the bag, and for a period of 24 h (or even more, depending - if video shows a weakened fish, most will replace even if fish dies after some weeks)

Hanuman

That’s a beautiful betta, I can’t believe there are so many different types and colours.
Hybridisation.
Lots of these very colorful betta do not exist in the wild. Their are just the product of generation after generation of selection and breeding. Personally I much prefer f1 breed wild betta, which can also be colorful but will not be as fancy as these splenden betta that people see in LFS. This guys breeds the best betta in my opinion. Here is his website as well.

Hanuman

He is good and a conscious man. When I didn't know much about betta I nearly bought from him a pair for a black water tank I had in mind but soon backtracked when I discovered these wild betta do jump, and when I say jump, well they can jump up to 1/2 meter high. Yes you read that well. And since I didn't like lids I had to drop the idea.

Fishydib

I see a lot of sellers seem to be facebook based ☹️ I do struggle using facebook
Hybridisation.
Lots of these very colorful betta do not exist in the wild. Their are just the product of generation after generation of selection and breeding. Personally I much prefer f1 breed wild betta, which can also be colorful but will not be as fancy as these splenden betta that people see in LFS. This guys breeds the best betta in my opinion. Here is his website as well.
I have just gone to the website which i prefer, easy to navigate etc

Fishydib

He is good and a conscious man. When I didn't know much about betta I nearly bought from him a pair for a black water tank I had in mind but soon backtracked when I discovered these wild betta do jump, and when I say jump, well they can jump up to 1/2 meter high. Yes you read that well. And since I didn't like lids I had to drop the idea.
1/2 metre high, oh my god, never knew they could jump that high

Hanuman

1/2 metre high, oh my god, never knew they could jump that high
For the wild betta yes. Hybrides maybe not. It's a natural instinct. In their natural habitat, they jump specially when it rains but they can also jump occasionally when it doesn't. Many people have lost their wild type betta to this so a lid is a must. And when you pay 100USD or more for the fish you better be sure what you are doing else regret is all you'll have.

Fishydib

Well all my plants arrived today (invitro), decided which way up my branches would go and proceeded to plant. Tank has now been filled with water, filter on, heater on (26 degs), prime added and light on. Hopefully I’ve left enough swim space

Is the light too high/low/ok above the glass lid?
How long should i have it on per day?
Should i do any water changes?
Is it ok to add some liquid fert?
What temperature should i have it set at?

Micranthemum spec (monte carlo)
Vesicularia montagnei
Nymphoides spec (taiwan)
Vesicularia dubyana (Christmas)
Vesicularia ferriei
Limnobium
Limnophila sessiliflora
Cryptocoryne willisii
Staurogyne repens

244AAD9A-3B29-4D72-A89E-1B8DCD3725F7.jpeg

Last edited: