• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help needed identifying plants

Reuben Hamburger

Guys I need your expertise to ID some plants.

I am planning to build my very first aquascape in the next weeks and I have been scouring the web for inspiration. There's this scape in one of the ADA-view video's on youtube, and I just love absolutely everything about it. Also it seems to me like a perfect layout for a beginner like myself. Unfortunately, I have no clue what many of the plants in it are.

Here you can see the tank at various stages from planting up to about one year.

From what I can tell there are the following

Hydrocotyle tripartita
Weeping moss
Eleocharis acicularis

But then, the stem plants which are a big mystery to me
Rotalas?
Ludwigia?
Hygrophila?
Pogostemon?

It's hard to tell if they used all wabi-kusa's or if the plants were added individually just from these images. At the 'three days' mark you can clearly tell the hydrocotyle is wabi kusa, but the stem plants are obscured. If the stem plants are wabi kusa, my guess is they are a 'ADA stem plant MIX'. But unfortunately I haven't been able to find a list of which plants are in that item anywhere online.

So any help here would be greatly greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 18.14.58.png

Wabi-kusa's clearly visible in foreground.

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 18.15.20.png

Myriad of stem plants..

Probaply not the exact ADA species......... but you can get this look by mixing Rotala sp. 'green', Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala sp. H'ra and Ludwigia palustris. The Ludwigia will most likely get more red, than this scape.
Identifying exact species of Rotala (and there are defenitely several Rotala's) is really not possible. You will need to check which species ADA usually use in their scapes and then try to find a match.

I’d suspect there is also some Ludwigia arcuata in the mix as Amano used it often in scapes
(I still mourn the loss of this from Tropica”s plant collection - I tried a couple of alternate sources but it’s just not the same)

Note that Amano recommended trimming stem plants seven times, then replanting with (new growth) stem tops - though he would also just allow scapes to evolve over time with minimal interference

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. Your suggestions make a lot sense. I had the opportunity to take a look at mr. Amano's book 'complete works', and the species you suggested are frequently mentioned there.

So the updated list:

foreground:
the tripartita
weeping moss (Amano seemed to use Willow mostly, but I can't find it for sale localy)
eleocharis mini

background (small):
rotala green
rotala rotundifolia

background (larger):
ludwigia arcuata
hygrophila polyspermia
persicaria sp
murdannia keisak

As for the larger leafed background plants I will probably end up choosing one or two, since I doubt there will be enough space in my 45. I like the persicaria as an alternative to the red ludwigia variations.

Note that Amano recommended trimming stem plants seven times, then replanting with (new growth) stem tops - though he would also just allow scapes to evolve over time with minimal interference
Where could I read more about this subject?

Where could I read more about this subject?
Back when Vectrapoint Publishing was involved with the English translation of Amano works, interviews, AquaJournal this was readily available on the net, unfortunately I’ve not found a similar site since

Jurijs mit JS video short

Back