• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP needed on lack of filtration

oldwhitewood

Hi guys,

I've just rescaped a new layout and after it had been running for a few hours I noticed the level in the tank had dropped and my carpet was a bit wet. Much to my horror one of the taps on my eheim external was leaking water so I had to turn everything off and stop the filter. I've tried to crib something together without the tap but it's still leaking.

I managed to order one from ebay which hopefully will arrive this week, but in the meantime what do you think I should do? Just keep doing daily water changes until the part arrives? Or put in a small internal filter so at least the water is turning over?

The tank has been setup for a matter of hours so you guys will know I'm using aquasoil and a lot of plants which weren't cheap. I don't want to do them more damage than I can possibly avoid.

Exactly what I did when my Tetratec started leaking. Good job I didn't get rid of the fluval3+ when I bought the external.

Back on with the Tetratec now though.

AC

If you turn the external off I'd be tempted to put the loose media into bags in the tank (assuming you can't fit them in the internal). This should help preserve the bacterial levels over the course of a few days.

Can you not disconnect the tube from the tap and plumb it straight on to the filter? (Your mention of tap makes me think it's a Classic?)

Or... try a bit of vaseline (or silicon grease if you have it - the one for potable water) around the tap washers etc.

Or... erm... can you see what is at fault? Is it a broken o-ring or...

Hey bugs, it's actually the tap connector which goes into the tubing, that has snapped, therefore I can't get a tight connection on it and it leaks water slowly, it's not gushing out but it's enough to be dangerous. I tried to put the tube right onto the thread where it had snapped off, I eventually got it on but it still leaked. I would try to crib something up but with filters and the work they have to do 24hrs a day I think it's wise to get the replacement part and make sure it works. I don't want to risk leaving it and then something bad happens and I get water all over my lounge.

Back