• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help needed with 0 Nitrates Levels

I think its possible, others may disagree. A lot of people on the forum dont trust test kits much, I am starting to trust them less and less myself. Your tank has only been running a month though, so quite a short time, things may change later on as everything settles down.

I think adding small amounts of fertilizer often will be better for your system than adding a lot more rarely. Algae have evolved to thrive with rapid changes, while plants are slower but can tolerate bad periods better and store nutrients because of their complex structures. Plants slowly (week or more) adapt to the conditions they find themselves living in, therefore it is almost always a good idea to keep things as stable as possible. Otherwise they spend a lot of energy trying to reprogram / readapt themselves all the time.
Thats why I am using 2 different testing methods, one professional drop testing kit and strip tests (untrustworthy).
I will simple do regular once a week dosage but maybe half the recommended dosage to see how my plants respond. Every plant (but two) is growing really well. I am struggling really hard with Montecarlo and Hairgrass, thats why I bought a Co2 system in hopes that it will make it possible to grow some carpet.

You have a very nice tank and you should think twice if you really want to add CO2. Once you start injecting CO2, then you cannot dose "a bit" of ferts. It will not work. With CO2 you will need to change ~50% every week, and not 20% once per month. So, think if you want to keep a low-tech setup like you have now, or if you want to go high-tech with CO2. If you start with CO2 then you need to adapt everything you are doing right today.
How would Co2 and fert affect water changes when my (Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0)?

How would Co2 and fert affect water changes when my (Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0)?
Simply put there is a lot more in aquarium water than ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Plants are quite leaky structures and when they grow they release various compounds into the water column. Slow growing plants in low tech release not so much, but plants growing under CO2 grow faster and therefore release a lot more. Frequent water changes in high tech tanks are not done because the ferts are getting too high, but because the plants cause a lot of unmeasurable waste that will affect water quality if you let them build too much. You can compare it to a large tank with 5 small fish vs the same tank but it has 50 big fish. The tank with just the small fish may not need water changes that often, but still every now and then, to keep down harmful bacteria and pathogens that are steadily increasing and will start to wear on your fish. But the same tank with 50 big fish, the load that the system is under is much greater, and therefore more water changes are needed, even if there are no readings for nitrate, etc. Fish breeders know this well, and this is why they change a lot of water in tanks with large groups of baby fish. They eat a lot and grow a lot and pollute the water, even if we cant measure it with test kits. I hope this makes sense

CO2 is the most important nutrient for plants. It is unrelated to ammonia and nitrites and nitrates.

Once you start dosing CO2 the plants will start photosynthesizing more and will have the potential for growing much faster (some plants will grow 10x faster). In this process, plants will require (much) more nutrients, which are provided by the soil and by the liquid fertilizer you are adding to the water. If you add CO2 and do not adjust the rest of the nutrients the plants will start collapsing and algae will take over.

Since the plants grow much faster with CO2, they also release unwanted substances to the water during this process. At the same time, the amount of fertilizers in the water column can accumulate. So, you need water changes to reset the system. Hence the ~50% weekly water changes with CO2. In a low-tech (no CO2) tank, the plants grow slower and the fert dosage is lower, so you need less frequent water changes.

Note that ammonia and nitrites will remain at (near) zero because your plants will be using them. These are toxic. Nitrates are a fundamental nutrient and cannot be zero if you are using CO2.

CO2 is the most important nutrient for plants. It is unrelated to ammonia and nitrites and nitrates.

Once you start dosing CO2 the plants will start photosynthesizing more and will have the potential for growing much faster (some plants will grow 10x faster). In this process, plants will require (much) more nutrients, which are provided by the soil and by the liquid fertilizer you are adding to the water. If you add CO2 and do not adjust the rest of the nutrients the plants will start collapsing and algae will take over.

Since the plants grow much faster with CO2, they also release unwanted substances to the water during this process. At the same time, the amount of fertilizers in the water column can accumulate. So, you need water changes to reset the system. Hence the ~50% weekly water changes with CO2. In a low-tech (no CO2) tank, the plants grow slower and the fert dosage is lower, so you need less frequent water changes.

Note that ammonia and nitrites will remain at (near) zero because your plants will be using them. These are toxic. Nitrates are a fundamental nutrient and cannot be zero if you are using CO2 - the plants will start struggling right away.
Now i feel sad/confused. :D When I was designing this, I had one goal, to do as less water changes as possible and have a healthy and heavily planted setup. I achieved that currently I think. I thought with an external filter and Co2 reactor it will just make it better for my tank therefore I spent the extra money and bought those two and now after hearing from you all I am thinking if I made a big mistake and if it would lead to me to the direct opposite of my goal which was to do very few water changes. :(

Now i feel sad/confused. :D When I was designing this, I had one goal, to do as less water changes as possible and have a healthy and heavily planted setup. I achieved that currently I think. I thought with an external filter and Co2 reactor it will just make it better for my tank therefore I spent the extra money and bought those two and now after hearing from you all I am thinking if I made a big mistake and if it would lead to me to the direct opposite of my goal which was to do very few water changes. :(
The reality is that tanks with CO2 injection are high-maintenance and quite unforgiving. CO2 injection is unfortunately not compatible with infrequent water changes or lack of maintenance. The plants will be much happier with CO2 and it is much easier to grow carpet plants. But you will need a lot more time to keep the tank running properly. If you want to follow the same route that youtube's MD has recently adopted, then skip the CO2. If you want to pursue CO2 with all its benefits you will need to pay the price... and the currency is weekly water changes plus a lot of maintenance (when compared to a low tech tank).

I will simple do regular once a week dosage but maybe half the recommended dosage to see how my plants respond.
If you add CO2 then you should to start with the recommended dosage for CO2, which is significantly higher than for a tank without CO2. After the plants are fully adapted to CO2 and growing healthy, then you can start adjusting the ferts. This will take several weeks. It will also take you some time to adjust CO2 injection properly, which is not a simple task. Please do not underestimate the amount of fertilizers the plants will need using once CO2 is injected.

May I ask why?
Just because I am extremely busy with so many other things in life that finding time to do a 50% water change every week is mostly not possible for me. I know you may think that "Anyone can do once a week water change" but i have so many other responsibilities I don't think I can and I would hate to be the person who would let his fishes / plants suffer due my own unavailability and commitment so I did a lot of research and went for such a setup that would require maybe once a month water change if my Nitrates get out of hand (above 20ppm). I also read that 30-40 years ago, people would not even do any water change in their aquariums and will just top off and their tanks did fine. But yeah thats the gist of it. I am still aiming to do once a month big water change and a lot of weekly maintenance like cleaning glass and trimming plants etc but 50% water change for now is not on the cards unless my fishes and plants are at risk.

Just because I am extremely busy with so many other things in life that finding time to do a 50% water change every week is mostly not possible for me. I know you may think that "Anyone can do once a week water change" but i have so many other responsibilities I don't think I can and I would hate to be the person who would let his fishes / plants suffer due my own unavailability and commitment so I did a lot of research and went for such a setup that would require maybe once a month water change if my Nitrates get out of hand (above 20ppm).
Water changes are not meant to remove nitrates, but to remove the unwanted detritus as well as dissolved solids and substances from the water. Nitrates are actually a fundamental nutrient and 20ppm of nitrates is actually an excellent level for a planted tank.
I also read that 30-40 years ago, people would not even do any water change in their aquariums and will just top off and their tanks did fine. But yeah thats the gist of it
Those tanks did not have CO2 injection... and you can have infrequent water changes in a low tech tank, especially if you use a lot of plants and keep the livestock density low. But this does not work in a tank with CO2 injection.
I am still aiming to do once a month big water change and a lot of weekly maintenance like cleaning glass and trimming plants etc but 50% water change for now is not on the cards unless my fishes and plants are at risk.
You have a 180 liter tank, so you would need 80-90 litres of water per week. If you set up a proper system, a 90l water change should take you ~15 minutes. This requires you to run a hose to the nearest water tap or use a small pump. If you have a garden, then disposing of the water is even easier.

Just because I am extremely busy with so many other things in life that finding time to do a 50% water change every week is mostly not possible for me.
You have a very nice tank and you can focus on growing the plants you have there or adding a few other plants that do not need CO2 injection. You can try growing <some carpet plants in a low tech setup>, but this can be hard. So, if you are busy and have planned to minimize water changes, then do so. Forget about CO2 injection, and keep enjoying your current low-tech setup! Do not move to high-tech unless you really understand what it implies. In my opinion, and based on what you said, you would be making a major mistake if you start using CO2.

Back