• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help needed with pinnatifida

Earlscapes

Hi guys, help needed: all planted growing amazingly well 6 weeks on (no co2), all have new shoots/leaves and look healthy, however, hygrophila pinnatifida started really strong, sending out shoots with lots of new growth and colour change over to red state, last week its just started dying off still with growth but leaves are just falling off or to peices. I've read up about it possibly being a lack of potassium/nitrogen. I dose every day with aquadip plant feed full of all nutrients. Very confused.... see pic.
20210223_191907.jpg

Definitely looks like a case of potassium shortage first, plus Co2 starvation!
Hygrophila Pinnatifida is one of those plants that really needs CO2.

Thanks, I have been toying with the idea of co2. But wanted to see what growth I could get without. As this is the only plant that seems to be effected I may just avoid it in my main tank still have lots of growth in the cube and seem to cultivate on brilliantly. Then revisit it later on.

So I've ordered some npk additives and will start to add and hope this helps with growth. Had a major trim back on pinnatifida in shrimp tank to take out dying leaves and hope this helps with cultivating

Can you give us a correct exposure picture of your surface growth of Frogbit and Pistia, it might just be the exposure but they look Iron starved in addition to Nitrogen.

:)
20210224_192443.jpg

This is the shrimp tank that I have the same issue with, all but pinnatifida grow really well, pinnatifida grows runners and is creating new shoots no problem but then leaves all developers holes and dye off.

Will upload main tomorrow as dont have a pic to hand. Thanks

Hi guys, help needed: all planted growing amazingly well 6 weeks on (no co2), all have new shoots/leaves and look healthy, however, hygrophila pinnatifida started really strong, sending out shoots with lots of new growth and colour change over to red state, last week its just started dying off still with growth but leaves are just falling off or to peices. I've read up about it possibly being a lack of potassium/nitrogen. I dose every day with aquadip plant feed full of all nutrients. Very confused.... see pic.View attachment 163584
I would just like to jump on and add- just because you dose a complete fertiliser, doesn’t mean the plant has enough of that nutrient. This is why it is always prudent to do multiple water tests to get a comprehensive idea of what’s going on in the aquarium. depending on your tap water and Plant growth habits, you may actually need to add additional of only a specific nutrient, potassium for example seems to be a common one

I would just like to jump on and add- just because you dose a complete fertiliser, doesn’t mean the plant has enough of that nutrient. This is why it is always prudent to do multiple water tests to get a comprehensive idea of what’s going on in the aquarium. depending on your tap water and Plant growth habits, you may actually need to add additional of only a specific nutrient, potassium for example seems to be a common one
Completely agree, just weird how it went from being fine and continues to grow more runners and plants then just dye off. Need to re run tests and like you said should give me a clearer picture. Thanks again

Completely agree, just weird how it went from being fine and continues to grow more runners and plants then just dye off. Need to re run tests and like you said should give me a clearer picture. Thanks again
I am by no means an expert, but form what I know and what you've told me so far, it sounds like your plants burnt through a nutrient that they are able to store, but were not able to replenish it and so have now started to decay after a few weeks. I think Phosphorus is one of those nutrients plants can store and is often found in fish food, but if you're still in the early stages of the aquarium or do not have many fish, its easy to run dry- By no means am I saying this is what is is, its just an example of what could have happened 😊

I am by no means an expert, but form what I know and what you've told me so far, it sounds like your plants burnt through a nutrient that they are able to store, but were not able to replenish it and so have now started to decay after a few weeks. I think Phosphorus is one of those nutrients plants can store and is often found in fish food, but if you're still in the early stages of the aquarium or do not have many fish, its easy to run dry- By no means am I saying this is what is is, its just an example of what could have happened 😊
Thanks dude, yeah I have good fish stock in both but don't like to over feed either, so I have started adding P and small amounts of K&N and all other plants fish all still fine and healthy so fingers crossed this should help as I was having issues with 53b as well but thats started to show progression. Either that or I convince the wife I need more fish haha

Back