• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help on prunning these plants.

jamesw

If you guys could give any info you know about how to properly prune these plants, that would be great.

Java Fern -

Amazon Sword -

Vallisneria Spiralis -

Sagittaria Pusilus -

Ceratopteris Siliquosa or Fine leaf Indian fern -

Hygrophillia Difformis or Wisteria -

Hygrophilia Rosanervis, by the way these arrived and arent red :? ? Did they send me the right plants? -

Rotala Macrandra -

Heteranthera Zosterfolia or Sea Grass -

Hygrophilia Polysperma -

Miriophyllum Matogrossense -

Elodea Densa (Egeria Densa) -

I hope these are all the right names for them, these are how they are listed. Thanks for your help.

There's a guide to pruning in the turorials section or on the main site I think so take a look at that.

But, for Java fern just cut the leaves as close to the rhizome as possible. And as with other stem plants, cut Elodea Densa and H. Polysperma an a slight angle just above the leaf node to allow them to split and bush up. Start cutting low and get higher with each trim and you can replant the cuttings!

Ok thanks,

do you have any idea why my Hygrophilia Rosanervis are green? i bought these because i thought they were a reddy/pinky? thanks.

jamesw said:
do you have any idea why my Hygrophilia Rosanervis are green? i bought these because i thought they were a reddy/pinky? thanks.
Hi saintly.
I'd be curious to know the answer to this too, if you know it. When I bought my 'Rosanervig' it was pink at the top but after the first trim it has stayed green.
I have 2 x 45w T5HO over a Rio 180. Dosing full EI and I have let them grow right to the surface to see if the higher light made a difference but it didn't.
After advice from my LFS (which I'm not too sure about :? ) it was suggested that high nitrate may be one of the causes. The other cause he cited was that he gets a better pinky red using T8's. As my lighting is not about to change anytime soon (I hope), I have reduced the nitrate levels in my dosing regime by 1 teaspoon below max. levels and I have just noticed a pinky tinge appearing, but this is after 3 weeks at the lower rate. As I mix up my ferts for 1 month at a time, I'll use this up and maybe adjust some more at the next batch.
I don't know if I'm going in the right direction with this, but I'm keeping a close eye on all the other plants and no adverse effects have been noted so far :D .
Any of your experiences would be much appreciated.
With that said, I am still pleased that it is an otherwise healthy looking plant, it's just that curiousity is getting the better of me at the moment :? .

Chris

saintly said:
ahhh...the red debate :lol:

how tall are they, whats your lighting?, what is your fert dosing?

Id say about 7" tall, 2 x 54watt and 2 x 39watt T5 lighting, all with reflectors. I dose TPN+ and trace elements daily, although i do use eco-complete aswell which i think supplies iron etc.

Hi Aaron
Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if the N advice was duff info.
I've just mixed up my ferts for this month and adjusted the N again. I've also upped the PO4 as I've got a bit of green spot getting on my nerves :lol:.
As you suggest, I am keeping a close eye on my plants for deficiencies. But if I understand it right, dosing at EI levels is probably higher than I need. As my confidence has grown using the EI method, thanks to a certain person round here, (I think we all know who that is ;) ), I have now started experimenting by reducing the amounts dosed. My logic is that the original EI experiments were carried out using a higher wpg than I've got, and also a longer photoperiod, so I figure I'm safe to reduce the amounts gradually. I always leave an adjustment for the 4 weeks my ferts last, so this should be long enough to give me a good indication. So far so good.
Anyway thanks for the reply.

Chris
PS. Won't be able to reply to any additional posts just yet. Off to sit in the sunshine for 2 weeks :D .
Although my tanks are in good hands.................I hope :lol: .

Back