• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help on Stem Plants

Jon1706

Hi Guys I would love some help on some stem plants. I am Picking up three bunches of Vallisneria americana (gigantea) to hide the pipe of my fliter ( I dont have a film back ground. I did have a black one but it was making my tank look dark) Here is the list of plants iI wish to buy, oh I will be buying them from the Green Manchine.

Bacopa Caroliniana
Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Siamensis' x x2
Hygrophila Polysperma
Shinnersia Rivularis 'Weiss-Grun' x2 or x3

I have a Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B' at the min but Im not sure if to get another one of these or to get Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Siamensis' to go next to it. The Shinnersia Rivularis 'Weiss-Grun I want to go behind my wood asd the main stem Plant would two or three be ok for this. The other ones I found was in case my set up wasnt right for the Shinnersia Rivularis 'Weiss-Grun'. I have incuded my tank specs if this helps
Thank you guys

Tank specs

60l tank (61 x 31 x 42 cm. Use to be a Juwel Rekord 600 wont be when I replace the Hood lol )
1 Arcadia 18” 15 Watt T8 Original Tropical Lamp + Arcadia Reflector
10x turn over ( TTex 600 filter, power head coming soon)
Easy carbo everyday + profito 1ml a day = TPN+ caps
Sand sub
thank you guys

To be honest with stem plants, apart from a few that are trickier, it's all about picking ones that you like and will work with your design or tank layout. With your set up if you stick with the easy ones you should be fine.

The only pieces of advice I'd offer is to;
a. Get less types but more of each. In a 2ft tank I reckon you want two or three background types of plant in the tank. If you've already got Vallis and the Hygro then I'd get more Hygro and one other contrasting stem to bulk it out.
b. Get stems with smaller leaves so it tricks the eye and helps make your tank look bigger than it truely is. Small fish help with this effect too.

Thank you for that I will stick with the two stem plants from tropica I've picked. That been Hygrophila Corymbosa' Siamensis 53B ' x3 and Shinnersia Rivularis 'Weiss-Grun' x3
Dose anyone have any pictures of Shinnersia Rivular 'Weiss-Grun' in their tanks, thank you guys

Back