• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help picking between these cameras

I swapped from a D200 and have hands like hams, fingers like sausages and abuse the hell out of my kit and have had no issues :). A few more fully weather sealed lenses would be nice, I'll admit, but I've got my stuff drenched plenty of times without damage, and they do seem to be starting to fill that niche in the lens list.

I'm not saying m43 is the be-all and end-all, but I think a lot of SLR shooters do have some pretty well entrenched misconceptions about the system.

I'm inclined to agree with you Tom. Perhaps I need to give them another chance when the time comes to replace the D300.

It really depends whether or not size is an issue for you. I realised one day that I'd stopped taking my DSLR out with me unless I was on a specific photography mission, whereas with m43 I can always chuck a body and lens in a coat pocket (or my girldfriend's handbag!) and so have it with me far more often. Even if I'm going out for a typical full day's shooting, my two bodies, a super wide angle, a fast normal prime and my macro lens weight in at a whopping 1100 grams combined, plus about the same again for my mini manfrotto tripod, which is normally sufficient if it isn't blowing a gale.

But, the downside is that you sometimes end up paying more for the privileged of not having shoulder ache, and you lose maybe 10% sensor performance against an equivalent gen DSLR.

Whatever you settle on Alastair, photgraphy is fascinating and I've found that especially with shrimp it enables you to enjoy the detail that you'd probably
never appreciate with the naked eye. I've always enjoyed taking pictures of my tanks and shrimp, but found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the point and clicks. Earlier this year I bought a Canon DSLR, just with the standard 18-55mm kit lense and it's the best thing I ever did! It's a now becoming a hobby in it's own right, and I've just this weekend ordered myself a dedicated macro lense. Can't wait to get snapping next week!

My advice would be save for the DSLR!

Back