• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Ram With Finrot?

Tommy

Hi everyone, today I noticed that my ram's dorsal fin is damaged or rotting. He was fine yesterday. Can anyone identify if its finrot or not and what I need to do to treat it? Thanks :)

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Looks like damage from fighting, especially if it appeared all of a sudden overnight. I'd keep an eye on your empire gudgeons, I had the similar peacock gudgeons who were angels of a day but once the lights went off they were terrible fin nippers. Nearly every fish in the tank used to get nipped, I had to et rid in the end.

Water change as often as you can, they will help speed up the healing process. It also looks rather skinny, I'd suggest worming our tank. Tank bred dwarfs are notorious for carrying worms.

What temperature is the tank running at currently?

Cheers

Conor

Looks like damage from fighting, especially if it appeared all of a sudden overnight. I'd keep an eye on your empire gudgeons, I had the similar peacock gudgeons who were angels of a day but once the lights went off they were terrible fin nippers. Nearly every fish in the tank used to get nipped, I had to et rid in the end.

Water change as often as you can, they will help speed up the healing process. It also looks rather skinny, I'd suggest worming our tank. Tank bred dwarfs are notorious for carrying worms.

What temperature is the tank running at currently?

Cheers

Conor

Hi Conort, tank is at 26 degrees. Reason I thought it might be finrot is that I was at my LFS where I got the fish to get some live food and looked in the tank where it came from, there were other rams with damaged fins so I just thought it could be finrot.

Ive not seen the empires trying to nip the fins of the other fish but will deffo keep an eye out. Ill try to see if I can see them do anything with the lights out.

Ive got some Harka Verm wormer on the way but I will need the dosage for my tank. :)

Even if it's just mechanical damage, it could develop in to fin rot, so it's probably better to be safe than sorry and treat anyway. It's always very difficult to tell for certain from images but it looks suspiciously like fin rot to me anyway. Treat with eSHa 2000, it's shrimp safe too.

Hi all,
It's always very difficult to tell for certain from images but it looks suspiciously like fin rot to me anyway.
Sorry to say I'm of the same opinion, it won't be what you want to hear, and it may just be the photo, but he looks quite dark around the head, and in my experience that is never a good thing with dwarf cichlids.

Rams are one of my favourite fish, but the commercial stock of them is horribly unhealthy, and I would only buy them now from some-one who has bred their own locally.

cheers Darrel

Even if it's just mechanical damage, it could develop in to fin rot, so it's probably better to be safe than sorry and treat anyway. It's always very difficult to tell for certain from images but it looks suspiciously like fin rot to me anyway. Treat with eSHa 2000, it's shrimp safe too.

Thanks Tim I will get some esha 2000. :)

Hi all, Sorry to say I'm of the same opinion, it won't be what you want to hear, and it may just be the photo, but he looks quite dark around the head, and in my experience that is never a good thing with dwarf cichlids.

Rams are one of my favourite fish, but the commercial stock of them is horribly unhealthy, and I would only buy them now from some-one who has bred their own locally.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel, his colours also fade when he swims in the middle of the tank, Ive had rams before in the past and never had any luck with them. I was hoping this time it would be different. :)

Rams pretty much seem to be a waste of time unless they're locally bred. The amount of people that post on here having issues compared to other fish species speaks for itself. The quality of them, dwarf gourami, guppys and a few other commonly available community fish is crap, literally chucking money down the drain with them. They last months if you're lucky.

Cheers

Conor

About to order esha 2000 and esha exit on ebay, will a 20ml bottle be sufficient for a 240ltr tank? Ive never used it before so don't know the dosage etc. Thanks :)

Putting ram's poor health aside, overnight fin rot is more than likely ammonia burn. The only med that helps is a series of large water changes.

I doubt that, that was the problem. I do 70% water changes every week. His fin is fine now :)

Back