• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help re SAEs

lurcher

Help please,i have a pair of 5” SAEs, (not flying foxes),in a 260litre tank with 10 bronze cories and 3yoyo loaches.the SAEs have always got on together but recently have had a couple of fights where one or two scales have been removed, are these fish prone to fighting or is this something that will sort itself?the tank is planted with bogwood where one often likes to hide in during the day ,any advice from sae enthusiasts gratefully taken. Thank you.

This can happen with "non aggresive "fish Likely that one has taken lead in a pecking order. Either keep a few or just one as your sure its a SAE. They tend to be all over the tank as they get older but a bit boisterous thats all. Some seemingly peaceful fish can do this in low numbers . A few years ago I was down to my last 2 of a group of Platies . One chased and bullied the other all around the tank till l took it out.

This is one of the reasons that I do not like SAE's once they grow, I have had similar problems. At least your tank is appropriately sized.

Ive got eight SAE in my tank and personally believe they are better in a group, two on their own bully each other and squabble, It’s a common issue with fish that are normally found in large numbers together in the wild. Like Tiger Barbs one or two on their own can be a nightmare but get a big group of them and they usually pretty well behaved.

Back