• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help reading drop checker

FishBeast

I am running what I think is about 30-40 ppm of co2 in my high tech tank although I sometimes wonder because I am not sure whether it is pale green or slightly yellow. What I am, saying is that I dont know if I amk running it at 30-40 ppm or something like 20ppm.

It's an inexact science to be honest. It's all dependant on how you setup the drop checker, how much regent and 4dkh solution you used, it's position in the tank etc etc.

Essentially, use it as a reference like you would a bubble counter. Ultimately, your livestock will tell you if you're pushing it too far, and your plants/algae will tell you if not enough.

I tend to run my drop checker closer to yellow than green. Ultimately, your fauna will let you know if the levels are too high, and algae and dissolving plants will let you know whether it is too low/not properly distributed.

Drop checkers are a good enough general indicator, but nature doesn`t lie. :thumbup:

Dave.

I had too much liquid in my drop checker and when I reduced it to 1/2 full it turned pure yellow (a day after I cranked it a bit) and a shrimp died. So I think I have it figured. Thank guys!

I use a ratio of 2:1 - 2 drops of Co2 reagent to 1mls of 4dkh solution, 2mls of 4dkh + 4 drops of reagent will approx. half fill the glass bowl on the DC - the only thing that I have found out is that the transitional period of changing colour from blue to green, green to yellow is very slow, where with Cal Aqua all in one solution changes colour faster.

The best way of checking the colouration of the DC is to remove the DC from the tank and place the DC in front of a piece of white paper.

Hope this helps

Regards
Paul.

Back