• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help! Something is happening to my java fern.

ck2607

Seedling
1592223010625881135422006259318.jpg
15922230371928186652358281475998.jpg

Sorry, messed up with posting. Basically, my java fern and my other plant that I can't remember the name of at all, have old leaves looking a bit sad. Could it be a lack of light or an macro deficiency? Many thanks in advance.

1. 34L
2. Fluval Flex Filtration
3. Stock lighting, 8hr a day
4. Substrate is an aqua soil from 2 years ago.
5. Dosing 1.2ml easylife easycarbo a day
6. Easylife Profito 3ml every week.
7. 30%-40% once a week.
8. Java Fern, sagittaria subulata, amazon sword, two plants I haven't ID'd
9. 4 green neon tetra, 2 guppies, 2 amano shrimp, 1 cherry and a nerite snail. 1592224643655307794955250221337.jpg

This is very likely N or Mg deficiency - if veins stay green it's more probably Mg but I'd think of both in your case as you use Profito only. You should dose NPK (KNO3, KH2PO4, KH2CO3) + Mg (MgSO4) as well as Profito is a micronutrient fertilizer (with tiny amount of K added).

What would be the best way to dose this? I always get overwhelmed by all the choice when looking online.

Hi all,
Java Fern, sagittaria subulata, amazon sword, two plants I haven't ID'd
Take the yellow fronds off the Java Fern, they are the old emersed grown leaves. The plant itself looks to have settled in fairly well.

The plant in front of it on, the left of the photo, is <"Schismatoglottis prietoi">. I'm not great with stems so someone else will have to ID that one for you.
This is very likely N or Mg deficiency - if veins stay green it's more probably Mg but I'd think of both in your case as you use Profito only. You should dose NPK (KNO3, KH2PO4, KH2CO3) + Mg (MgSO4) as well as Profito is a micronutrient fertilizer (with tiny amount of K added).
What would be the best way to dose this?
As @Witcher says you need to feed the plants.

Have a look at <"EI starter kit">. You can buy ready to use <"liquid fertilisers, but they work out fairly expensive in the long run">.

Once you have your fertiliser, you can either use <"a complete fertiliser on a regular basis">, or you can use something like the <"Duckweed Index">. At the moment I'm using a sort of <"mix of both">.

cheers Darrel

I've just ordered an Ei Starter Kit so hoping it'll do the trick! Could it be why the sagittaria subulata is not growing at all really?

I've just ordered an Ei Starter Kit so hoping it'll do the trick! Could it be why the sagittaria subulata is not growing at all really?
Also to add to this; thank you all for your help. Looking forward to bringing these plants into their full glory!

@dw1305 Hi again, sorry to bother you. Really appreciated your advice, I have another question however. My water is quite hard at 7.6 on PH test, and I've ordered the EI starter kit but seen you post in other threads about hard water and iron not being soluble. It says in the kit that it has 8% EDTA Fe, will this be a problem?

Cheers,
Charlie

Hi all,
@dw1305 Hi again, sorry to bother you. Really appreciated your advice, I have another question however. My water is quite hard at 7.6 on PH test, and I've ordered the EI starter kit but seen you post in other threads about hard water and iron not being soluble. It says in the kit that it has 8% EDTA Fe, will this be a problem?
You really need to know the carbonate hardness as well, but I’m going to assume pretty hard because of were you are located.

You may need another chelate, like FeEDDHA.

Cheers Darrel

@dw1305 According to my water supplier it is around 114 mg/l Ca. Would you recommend seeing how it goes with the EDTA? Can't really afford an order of FeEDDHA ontop of the starter kit.

Hi all,Yes I’d try the FeEDTA, with most of the trace elements you just need some, rather than none.

Cheers Darrel

@dw1305 Alright thank you for your help Darrel. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any iron deficiencies in the next couple weeks.

Thanks, Charlie

I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any iron deficiencies
Just watch your newest/smallest leaves growing on the plants (usually tops of the plants but some of them are shooting new leaves at the internodes) - if they are very bright (with tendency to becoming almost white or very light pink regarding usually red plants) you'll need to either dose more of Fe using Profito or potentially add more of Fe only as @dw1305 has suggested. I'd personally prefer Darrell's way (adding more of only Fe instead of dosing more Profito) as Profito is heavy on other micro (it contains 2 or 3x more of other micronutrients in relation to Fe than other fertilisers).

Hi everyone,

So an update on my current situation; I've been EI dosing at half recommended dosage now (3.4ml for both macros and micros) for coming up to 3 weeks, with the mix via EI starter kit that was linked.

Plant health seems to be generally better but still doesn't seem 100%. I've noticed the edges of my hygrophilla on the lower leaves, even leaves that have emerged since EI dosing, are slowly turning brown. I've got my lights on for 8 hours and am dosing 1.2ml of EasyCarbo a day.

I've noticed my java ferns new plantlets have gone see through on the tips, showing the iron deficiency I was worried would happen due to Fe-EDTA in my 7.5PH water, however I can't seem to find any Fe-EDDHA online for sale.

So in short my questions are, where can I find chelated eddha iron and what signs are my plants showing? Pictures attatched of my whole tank and an example of the browning leaf edges.

Cheers, CK
20200707_165157.jpg
20200707_162227.jpg

Hi all,
Plant health seems to be generally better
It definitely looks better.
I've noticed my java ferns new plantlets have gone see through on the tips, showing the iron deficiency
No you are good, that is a good sign. It just shows <"that the leaves are growing.">
where can I find chelated eddha iron
Have a look at <"Chempak sequestered Iron"> from <"Mg/Fe deficiency.....">.

The <"Duckweed index says..."> shows using a floating plant to diagnose iron deficiency.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back