• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help to identify this creature

REDSTEVEO

I am relieved to say that the wormlike creature in this video is not from one of my aquariums. I have a feeling I know what it is, but would appreciate input and suggestions from anyone experienced in the identification of it.

The video was posted by a person in a Discus Facebook Group.

Any suggestions as to what it is.

Thanks
Screenshot_20200812-182100_Gallery.jpg

Annelid worm (segmented worm) of some type, image resolution not good enough to determine if it’s a freshwater polychaete or not (annelid with chiton hairs protruding from both sides of each segment). To determine if it’s a predatory species or not you would need a very good macro shot of the mouthparts.

I think the most freakish worm I’ve come across so far is the small colony of Spaghetti Worms in my marine tank, have a nice spawning video if anyone is interested in me posting it and putting them of their lunch, it’s pretty much the marine equivalent of the dog kennel scene in John Carpenters ‘The Thing’!

:)

Annelid worm (segmented worm) of some type, image resolution not good enough to determine if it’s a freshwater polychaete or not (annelid with chiton hairs protruding from both sides of each segment). To determine if it’s a predatory species or not you would need a very good macro shot of the mouthparts.

I think the most freakish worm I’ve come across so far is the small colony of Spaghetti Worms in my marine tank, have a nice spawning video if anyone is interested in me posting it and putting them of their lunch, it’s pretty much the marine equivalent of the dog kennel scene in John Carpenters ‘The Thing’!

Ahem...no thanks, I think we'll give that one a miss, but thanks for the offer ;)

The person who sent it to me actually sent me a video but I couldn't upload it because it was in mp4 format.

The photographs you see are screenshots from the video. The white vessel that it is in is actually a bottle top to give you some idea of its size. My first thoughts looking at the segmented body format that it was a juvenile Tapeworm.

Thanks

Here is a link to the video previously mentioned. I hope it works.

Thanks.

These were substrate worms in one of the shrimp tanks I had, the gut contents were mainly green which is due to eating powdered Spirulina being fed to the shrimp, your worm example is very similar excepting it’s longer and coloured bright red (seeing as this is from a Discus tank that’s not surprising as their food is usually bright red!). In the above picture the worms appear to have protrusions from both sides of each segment, whether this indicates they are Freshwater polychaets or not I am unsure. Nevertheless they do the Job of cleaning up any uneaten food and I thus regarded them as Harmless.

Marine Polychaets for reference, note the definitively identifiable Chiton appendages protruding from both sides of each segment.

My 1st thought was a horse hair worm, which tend to invade the carapace of shrimp. But the color is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back