• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help- Whitespot outbreak

stephanie

Hiya,

I have got an outbreak of whitespot in my tank, is there a safe way of treating it which wont kill my Crystal shrimp and live plants?

Thanks for your help

Hi all,
The plants will be all right,but you need to take the shrimps out, and make sure you get a treatment without any copper in it (so one without "malachite green"), as they will remain toxic to your shrimps for a long time after treatment.
cheers Darrel

Thanks for your reply,

Is there any treatments thats safe to use with shrimp and live plants?

Hi

Try to rise temp to 30 - 32C do 50% water change treat with Interpret anti white spot or similar.

Or you can try to just rise the temp up to 32C and water change and air-stone as white spot cycle is broken at this temp

Thanks

I believe Octozin is safe for invertebrates and although it is marketed for marine can be used in a tropical tank.

Been a while since I looked at a bottle so you may want to check the manufacturers info.

Sorry... Just looked at waterlife site. It says octozin is ok for tropical aquariums but specifically states it treats whitespot in saltwater

Argh!!! I have the dreaded spots in my tank... Damned neons from a certain popular, nationwide fish retailer :(

So, is there any shrimp/snail safe treatment? Or how do I get the shrimps out? Temp is being increased as we speak...

Cheers,

as long as it does not contains melahite green or copper it should be fine. + on most of the treatments it indicates not to use when you have shrimps.

Back