• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with Algae

hongsit

Hi, first post, but been browsing for a while.
I have a EA Freshwater 1200, dimensions 1200 x 500mm x 700mm depth. Advertised as 329l. Water only goes up to 600mm or so. There are holes in the back for pipework, so the outlet is probably around 500mm from the bottom.

I have planted the aquarium mainly with easy plants, amazon swords, crypts, java fern the usual. Running for around 3months now.

I have been battling algae for a little while now, diatoms initially which I still have on the glass and filter pipes etc but also for the past month or so a lot of Black hair Algae I think. Can someone confirm it is black hair?

Lighting:
Original two 20w led, 2350lm
Due to the depth of the tank I have added two Superfish Retrofit LED Bright T8 100cm 38w.
Initially I had that on for 6hrs and slowly over a 6 weeks bought it up to 8hrs

CO2:
Injected CO2 until drop check is light green. Position top front Right of the tank.
On 2hrs before light and 1hr before lights off.

Filter:
Fluval FX4, outlet is split into two, so I have one pointed at the CO2 diffuser on the right hand side and the other pointing to the left of the tank towards the surface.
I also have a Eheim Skim 350 Micro Surface Skimmer mounted back left of the tank. This runs the same time as CO2 runs.

Fertiliser:
Started of TNC Complete, but now moved to seachem flourish twice a week.

The volume of water actually in the tank is around 290 to 300l.

Water:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate our of the Tap is 40
PH - initially when I first started the tank it was at 8.2
Now it’s at 7, I assume because I have CO2. Strange as measuring water out of the tap now is also stating 7.
Hardness i did measure but I can’t remember exact figures but I live in south London so I have hard water.

Substrate:
Tropica Soil
Hugo Kamishi natural fine gravel

Hardscape:
Landscape rock

I also have a Dr Chihiros which I’ve been running for about 6weeks, I may remove this as I don’t think it helps.

Currently I have the two original lights powered off so lighting wise I’ll leave it with the two retro fit 38w lights, I have also dropped lighting to 6hrs. My initial thinking that I have too much light for the easy plants and not enough fertiliser and/or CO2.

I’ve bought a new JBL e1502 filter ready to fit to help with flow, using the spray bar. I have noticed that all the plants are swaying so I’m think my flow is ok.

I’ve attached two photos, one of the algae and one the the tank itself.

Hopefully I have provided enough info for someone to give me some direction, too much light? Not enough Co2? Changed Fertiliser? Not enough flow? Need some help as you can see :).

Thanks in advance!

b20e50a1dec7351d0b5cbe1ddf0e8f59.jpg
c87ebe4b200fb859689a9774cc171b96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much light for the level of fertiliser you are providing. Flourish is micro nutrients only, you need to (if not already, via TNC) provide potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus and magnesium sources. Ignore values from tap water, as you have found this just leads to issues.

With that volume of tank, CO2 and lights you should really be looking at EI dosing, possibly even just dosing the dry powders due to the amount required.
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits/ei-starter-kit.html

Using commercial ready made fertilisers will work out expensive.

Thanks for the replies, good to know what algae. So if I increase the flow, start dosing using EI, I should then be able to increase the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back