• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with an unidentified snail

J Butler

Hi guys,

I seem to have picked up a hitchhiker from a recent delivery of Bolbitis from TGM but i'm not sure on it's identity. I managed to grab a couple of pictures when the little guy was young, but they weren't brilliant. I've finally managed to grab a better picture, it's below:

6462589631_69f47178cb_z.jpg

Does anyone know what type of snail he is? Should I leave him to go his merry way or will he turn into a monster? :wideyed:

Get it out I've got hundreds of the bloody things think they r called bladder snails they are a pest. I syphon out hundreds every water change

:sick: Duly noted! Did a quick search and the rather scary term 'Parthenogenesis' came up, best scoop it out before it gets busy... with itself. :wideyed:

Thanks for your swift identification guys :thumbup:

I agree, they're evil! They breed without a mate so, one can and will become hundreds! And it will happen almost overnight so act now and keep an eye out for more of them.

I've got assassins and botia kubotae and they arnt keeping up with the bloody things lol. If they didn't fin nip I'd plop a few dwarf puffers in lol

I had them. Watch out for little slimy, translucent packages on the leaves- that would seem to be the eggs. When I dosed my tank with flubendazolr to try and kill off a parasite problem with my fish, te numbers of these snails seemed to really drop. It may have been coincidence as I was taking out as many as I could at the time - maybe I just managed to pull out a particularly reproductive one. Anyway, might be worth a try if you are really infested

Sav

Yep Bladder Snails, I keep them in a barrel outdoors to help control the algae in my Daphnia barrells. Pests for sure, but not so bad in the right tank.

MrLarner said:
Alastair said:
Oops I best get it out of mine too. Had no idea it was a makelovewithonesselferer kinda snail!
that made me giggle :lol:

I made myself giggle too ha ha.,
Oh Nooo, I've got those slimy things on my crypt leaves. But also have orange ramshorns and nerites. Could it either

I have heard them commonly called "pond snails" and I catch them form my local river to put into my tank. I find that my fish keep them in check and have never had an over population problem.

I also have them in my low energy tank and keep the population under tight control by crushing them against the glass whenever I see them. This rolling program of molluscicide also keeps my fish happy, they fight over the sinking corpses like they're a rare delicacy.

Back