• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help with aponogeton

Bhavik

i have a 200 litre tank which is about 50cm deep low tech tank and i was thinking of getting either aponogeton ulvaceus or aponogeton longiplumulosus i just wanted to ask how easy these plants are to keep and whether they will survive in my tank?

thanks

Yes, plenty of ferts is the key. When you get the 'bulb' it will grow very well at first, because it has a store of nutrients. To keep it for the long term you need to feed it heavily.

Most Aponogetons are actually really easy to grow - even the famous "lace plant(s)" (A. madagascariensis and A. henkelianus) are not anyway near as difficult as their reputation. Both of your chosen Aponogeton species are almost rediculous easy plants to grow: just follow advice above.
- be aware, though, that A. ulvaceus will grow VERY large, whereas A. longiplumulosus will "only" grow max. half the size (but still a quite volumenous plant).

Most are also very beautiful plants with amazing flower spikes and don't get used nearly as much as they deserve. I think they enjoy a soil substrate; well at least the ones I've grown did. And they will also do very well low-energy. I've grown A. madagascariensis and A natans, and an A. natans/ulvaceus hybrid that way, both the latter flowered readily.

Purists will tell you that they need a dormant period but that's never really been the case with the species I've grown. I reckon it's primarily an adaptation to seasonal dry periods.
I've experimented with removing them and letting them rest for a period but I eventually came to the conclusion they are better off just left in the tank to do their own thing in their own time.

Hi all
For me its the most bullet proof plant.
Had a tyni bulb left in the damp aquasoil from old tank and after 5+ years when reused it desided to grow again.Been trying to kill it with low light and inert substrate and it still grow strong.
Regards Konsa

So out of the 2 either plant will be fine to grow?
I don’t really tend to dose any ferts in the tank
However I do have a bottle of easylife profito
If I start to dose that weekly would that be fine for these plants and the plants I’ve already got in the tank?
Also do I need to add eqsycarbo as well?
Thanks

Yes both or either will be fine, but note what Mick said about the size of A. ulvaceus.
It'd be a big mistake not to dose fertz, even low-energy, that is if you want to avoid algae and grow healthy plants.
Check out The Soil Substrate Planted Tank - a How to Guide...and Tom Barr's Non CO2 Methods, there's a bit about dosing LC toward the end of the article.

Back