• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with CO2 kit choice please

Hi Ray,
Sounds like a good plan. It doesn't matter how scruffy the bottle looks on the outside. It only matters what it looks like on the inside. You want to avoid corrosion on the inside by never letting the bottle pressure deplete to zero. That's how moisture gets in. Always having a positive pressure in the cylinder keeps moisture and corrosion out. It's also a good idea every few years or so to have the bottle tested to make sure. I assume the vendor is selling the bottle with it already tested and certified.

The AM1000 I got a few months ago has 12mm fittings so I'm not sure. You can see the specs here which shows 12mm internal diameter and 16mm outside diameter of the fitting. http://www.aqua-medic.de/freshwater/en/ ... or%201000/
This is really stupid because the Eheim filter tubing is usually 16/22, or 16mm internal/22mm external this means that the tubing just slips over the AM fitting with very little resistance and it therefore leaks. I had to slip some other small diameter tubing over the fittings to increase the diameter and then the 16/22 tubing went on with better resistance.Unbelievably stupid... :(

Cheers,

Great links and advice again ceg thanks mate.

That aquaristikshop looks fantastic, really fell for the Aqua Medic stuff.
I'll place an order next month (Just ordered some new wheels so no more fishy stuff this month :rolleyes:), for a Aqua Medic regulator, bubble counter, that lovely reactor 1000 the solenoid and some tubing.

Could you please tell me if this regulator will work with both the bottles listed on the web page AND FE's?

Cheers
Mark

Ohhh i knew there was summet i wanted to ask.

So i'll be stopping by the LFS in the morrow (chant, must not buy more fish, must not buy more fish).

I was planning on replacing the sand/gravel substrate as the LFS has Seachem Flourite in stock i thought it'd be easier all round to get some of this.

Couple of questions though.

Is it any good?
Are there any differences within the range apart from the colours?

Cheers
Mark

gixer said:
I was planning on replacing the sand/gravel substrate as the LFS has Seachem Flourite in stock i thought it'd be easier all round to get some of this.
Couple of questions though.

Is it any good?
Are there any differences within the range apart from the colours?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,
Yes, Flourite will grow plants better than the substrate you have now but not as well as the latest generation of enriched substrates like ADA Aquasoil or EcoComplete. You'll find that given the choice and availability most will opt for the clay based Aquasoil, however substrates are heavy and you probably don't want to pay for shipping. If availability is a problem then go for the Flourite, it is an improvement. There are no differences in the various models within the range in terms of plant growth. The differences are more or less cosmetic. Here is a current thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1118

Cheers,

I've got Flourite in one tank and just started using Aquasoil in another and you should go for the Aquasoil! The plant growth is amazing and it's very forgiving if, like me, you aren't the best at remembering to always dose ferts every day! I think it looks great too.

Thanks guys.

I'll go with the offered advice and leave it for now.

Like you say shipping is a pain in the blahblahblahblah for such heavy stuff, there are a few more fish shops around Athens.
I wouldn't really buy plants or fish from em but then they can't really do much to knacker up substrate :lol:

I always prefer giving my money and custom to shops that deserve it though, so i'll ask how much the LFS can import some AS, Eco or ADA.

AS is the one that leeches ammonia right?
If so i'll give that a miss as i've had to put my fish through a mini cycle with the new filter, i recon they deserve a break fer a while :)

Cheers
Mark

gixer said:
AS is the one that leeches ammonia right?
If so i'll give that a miss as i've had to put my fish through a mini cycle with the new filter, i recon they deserve a break fer a while :)
Cheers

Hi Mark,
Don't get confused over the amonnia leeching issue here. The context in which the NH4 leeching is objectionable is in terms of algae, not in terms of fish toxicity. From a fish standpoint, this issue is irrelevant. AS is the substrate of choice, of that there can be little doubt, but in a highly lit tank the leeching ammonia exacerbates the onset of algae formation. If your tank is not particularly well lit then this issue is moot and AS becomes an even better choice in terms of plant growth because of it's richness. Even though I bash AS I use it without hesitation, an extra water change per week solves this problem easily. My bashing has more to do with the hype surrounding AS and it's incongruous price for something that is basically kitty litter on steroids.:p

Cheers,

Hi,
Gixer, the original poster lives in Greece where he has trouble finding places to refill a cylinder. If you are in the UK you'll have plenty of options for refill or exchange. If you join the BOC or if you use a FE you can do better than those prices. Depending on the size of your tank a 500 gram cylinder will not last long at all. Any of the Rhinox diffusers will work adequately.

Cheers,

Good news, I can afford the AquaMedic stuff because I've found somewhere I can rent a 2kg cylinder for less than the cost of a refil at the LFS (called a telphone number on a cylinder behind the drinks machine at work) :D This is very beneficial for my budget! Is it worth paying 40 EUROS extra for the pulse regulator that only draws current when it switches - Aquamedic say this solves the problem of 2.5 watts heat from a normal solenoid... :?:

Back