• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with diy root tabs and osmocote

deeproots

Hi im new here but please bear with! Ive got some OO gel caps and want to make some diy root tabs. It seems that the type of osmocote which is referred to regularly on the subject is not available in the uk. I found 6 month osmocote on ebay which has the ratio 14-9-11 npk. Is this safe? It has 8% ammoniacal nitrogen. As its slow release would i be just as well buying growmore? Thanks!

I've used the Miracle Gro slow release (little yellow balls), and found it had no adverse effects on fauna. Don't go mad with the stuff, mind.

I've used the Miracle Gro slow release (little yellow balls), and found it had no adverse effects on fauna. Don't go mad with the stuff, mind.
Thanks henry. Do you have shrimp? I have fish and shrimp and both leave the substrate well alone so wont get dug up

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

14-9-11 npk. Is this safe? It has 8% ammoniacal nitrogen.

That's a rather high dose for an aquatic invironment and if you put it in the substrate, be very carefull to remember where and do not disturb it.. ;)
It might release slow, but it still can accumulate in a substrate pocket.. If you poke around in it it probably could be over with slow release..

I once tried liquid ferts with 2% NH3 in it, it was 4-2-4 npk and experienced quiet fast that green filamentous algae loves it.. :) I was growing a nice carpet of that on the substrate.. Stoped using it..

I bought some diy Osmocote tabs of off Ebay last year. I would never do it again as I soon realised that it caused toxicities to my stem plant roots. I eventually decided to rescape and I ripped out all the old substrate which was still full of osmocote balls.

Hi all,
I eventually decided to rescape and I ripped out all the old substrate which was still full of osmocote balls
The balls (prills) will still be present, but they are now empty.

It is a bit different with <"controlled release fertilisers">, like Osmocote, the exterior of the prill is meant to be semi-permeable, and allow in moisture (which will dissolve the soluble fertiliser inside the prill) and the ions will then slowly diffuse through the membrane into the surrounding medium.

The release period is dependent upon three factors, the thickness of the coating (this gives you "6 months" etc) and temperature and moisture. At higher temperatures and moisture levels release is quicker, and my suspicion would be that most of the ammonia will be released fairly rapidly.

I still think you can use them, but sparingly and you really need a substrate with a high CEC to help retain the released nutrients.

I've used "Growmore" N: PO4: K2O (7:7:7) (7 N : 3.1P : 5.8 K) <"successfully in the past">. I wrapped the pellets in clay (and then air dried them) and just pushed into the sediment.

cheers Darrel

Thanks All - so what we're saying is:

• Osmocote we can buy here in the UK is probably too risky.
  • Growmore you can use but should use clay instead of OO gelatine capsules
  • Whatever I eventually use I should use very sparingly and only replenish every ~6 months

Is that a fair summary?

I should add to.my previous post that I had actually used too many capsules that combined with the fact that were buried in inert gravel ended in a disaster. So use it but in moderation.

I should add to.my previous post that I had actually used too many capsules that combined with the fact that were buried in inert gravel ended in a disaster. So use it but in moderation.
Ok thanks all. Im a bit disappointed as root tabs are expensive for what they are and it ought to be a cheap thing to diy. I might try one or two tabs using growmore in my fine gravel and see how i get on. A whole tub of growmore slow release is the same price as a small bag of 5 or 6 tnc root tabs

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hi all, The deal maker for me.

cheers Darrel

Darrel a question for you, you might definitely know an answer to.. Since it seems the be a gardeners trick out of the old shoe box from grandma's attic 'm already using a long time wood ashes (burned wood) as a fert supplier in the garden. It contains about anything a plant needs.. Now i know it also can contain a low degree of toxic dioxines depending on the way you burn it this might be more or less.

Calcium 20 - 53%
Potassium 6 - 20%
Phosphor 1 - 7%
Magnesium 1 - 5%
Silicium +/- 14%
Trace elements
Dioxines ?

It's these dioxines are my main concern, that's why i never tried it.. To mix wood ashes into clay as a fert tab for aquarium plants.. What wood :rolleyes: this do in a water column?

Hi all,
grandma's attic 'm already using a long time wood ashes (burned wood) as a Nitrogen supplier in the garden
It is a potash (potassium (K) source), you actually lose all the nitrogen during combustion.

I wouldn't worry about dioxins, but wood ash is very alkaline and I would just keep putting it on the garden.

cheers Darrel.

Hi all, It is a potash (potassium (K) source), you actually lose all the nitrogen during combustion.

I wouldn't worry about dioxins, but wood ash is very alkaline and I would just keep putting it on the garden.

cheers Darrel.
Thanks.. I meant potas, corrected it soon after, was a clelical ellol mixing up things.. I know it does raise pH. I was just thinking of a little like 10% ash in the clay to give it a little extra boost.
If the dioxines are not an issue, i might just give it a try in a planted tank only and see what it does to the pH etc.. You got me very currious now.. :thumbup:

Back