• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help with hardscape

AdAndrews

Hello, i am currently trying out different hardscapes i have some mantanzania driftwood and some tgm blue stone, this is the best i have come out with so far,

IMGP0991.jpg

IMGP0992.jpg

can anyone give me any tips and rules to follow for wood scapes? is there any? i plan to have the wood branching out from the middle of the tank with a centre piece plant in the middle. however will this look stupid as you are not meant to put things directly in the middle, or do i use the wood to draw the eye so it doesnt matter?

thanks

try and get the tips of the wood on different lines. and on different positioning from front to back. this creates the illusion of depth.....not always apparent until you've got plants in ;)

you can go with a central mound, slightly left or right, or completely over to ones side, in the triangular layout. think about your planting, this IMO dictates the shape your after. think if your using stems, and where the bushy part of a clump of stems will be visible.

staggered points, and stagger the wood from front to back.

thanks saintly, on the day of planting what do i do, becuase i cant keep playing around with the wood unless i want it to dry out and then float upon filling?

ermmm....maybe do the layout in the tank, fill with water, then when you've got the plants empty it of water completely. what wood is it?

all of the pieces of wood are individuals, how many would you recommend using, or doesnt it matter, is less more as long as it looks good?

thanks saintly, i better get busy, cant really do that much until the ae order comes including the nature soil :D then i will put that in the tank and set up the hardscape, but then i face my next problem, i want to use willow moss on the wood, but this will be too hard to do with the wood in the tank, right? cant wait to get my hands on some nature soil, i hope its worth its £50 price tag :twisted:

thanks again

Adam

I think what i will do is just keep playing with the wood, but not letting them dry out too much, so they wont float, and then on plant day arrange the hardscape in the tank, the wood should be pretty well held down due to the rocks i just dont want to have to re-do everything. think i have got the plant list sorted, although not too sure about rotala rotundifolia as to the red colour, i usually like all green scapes.

thanks for your help

think in odd numbers, 3, 5 7's with wood or stones. or rather what's obviously going to be dominant should be odd numbers. anything that "supports" the scape dont really count.

the sub conscious can tell the difference between odd and even i think.

your on the right track though.

I think you're trying to create something too extrovagant - try using minimal hardscape and if you want to, work your way up and practise a lot. I think there's too much hardscape and too much going on for a diddy 35l though.

Also, as Mark said in his first post - try to get the tips of the wood on different levels, different lengths and at different depths etc.

Yeah, sorry if that post sounded a bit rude or whatever - just thought I'd add my two pence. :rolleyes: What you've got is actually great for a first try, just keep practising and it can only get better.

no, i appreciate the comments, i didnt take it as harsh, i'd rather you help me than not, after all i am the one asking for the help and lets face the facts you know alot more than me :lol:

thanks- cant wait for my lilys/nature soil and tool set to come!

oh well, my ae order didnt come today, but hey, i have tried out another wood formation:

IMGP0997.jpg

IMGP0998.jpg

Elevated pic:
IMGP1000.jpg

what do you rekon? got any more tips? I think I am sticking with the 3 wood piece as it suits the tank size rather than 3+
oo, and more good news!! I e-mailed my local store that is starting to stock aquafleur and they said that they will be able to get them in provided I tell them quantities and species.

anyway.. eastenders awaits!!!! :lol:

with the wood you have maybe you could create a mini version of this

7.jpg

they layouts are getting better :D try spreading some stones away from the main mound like mark has done. you can really see now but if you look at the start of his journal you can see better

forgot to mention which one lol. i meant the one centre of the photo

Back