• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help with hardscape

thanks sam, i think there is too much wood in the middle picture for me to try and emulate in my 35litre. my wood is still quite chunky for the tank size, i will try, but i feel it gets too clogged like in my second hardscape try.

4th:

IMGP1000.jpg

IMGP1000.jpg

i think what i find difficult is imagining it planted, so dont know what will be good or bad, due to lack of experience probably.

I don't like the crossing of the wood in the centre of (or off centre, wherever it may be), this draws the eye to that point immediately. Your previous experiments were better in my opinion. I'm by no means an aquascaper so take this with a pinch of the old proverbial, I'm sure you will get better more constructive advice from others, but from my view that's what I see!

No offence intended, it's better than I've ever achieved :oops:

As you say, planted it'll be a different kettle of fish.

I don't like the last one, for the same reasons as Clark. I think the other two are great though - but with less rock and the rocks a lot less 'lined up' if you see what I mean. It will look more natural that way. You've got a good hardscape basis for a nice aquascape there.

thanks, which were you refering to that you liked?

simon, i hear you on the crossing of the wood, but i figured my centre plant on the left would draw the eye more so

my AE order came today, and i have tried out a couple more arrangements:
6th:
IMGP1007.jpg

IMGP1007.jpg

and
7th:
IMGP1003.jpg

IMGP1004.jpg

please dont tell me im going backwards now :lol:

i quite like the last one but concider planting as id put something in the middle on the wood arrangement like anubias or a fern but with the middle piece it would make that hard. that depends on planting though. i would also think about cutting one of the pieces in half so then you have 2 smaller pieces. this gives you a wider range of wood to choose from. dont go hacking it up though :lol: think about it carefully if you do so. you also dont want to see the cut ends!

As i have lots of tgm blue stone and a very bored mind i decided to make a sort of iwagumi with a little inspiration from here: http://www.natureaquarist.com/Nature-aq ... 1973626603

I quite like it, a couple of the stones far right are just supporting as i have no substrate(yet) to hold them in place, oh, and the orange/rust colour in the middle of the main stone isnt that bad, its just my crappy camera makes it worse :lol:
IMGP1008.jpg

IMGP1010.jpg

IMGP1011.jpg

IMGP1012.jpg

i think this would look very good on my black background, and with blyxa back right, and then some dwarf hairgrass in front of some of the stones, and then the rest h.c

opinions please.

you've got the bug now :lol:

just be careful not to get "lost" with trying to come up with the "ultimate" layout. it'll drive you crazy otherwise. pick a theme and stick to it.you'll always be wondering "what if" ;)

lol. can i ask you something mate... my camera always seems to degrade the images of what its taking, the rocks in real life actually look good the way they are positioned atm, but on camera after putting them on here they loose detail, texture and their true colour, is this down to a poor camera-pentax optio or what? i feel i have it on the best settings, but still no luck, i think its also becuase people like you :twisted: have brilliant cameras and photography skills that make mine look sh#t

It might be in the uploading of the image mate. Jpeg files by their very nature are compressed, and therefor have lost some image detail. If you further reduce the quality then you'll lose even more detail.

It's all about getting the best quality, yet a file size that's not too large for posting on the web...

I like it mate :) I'd be tempted to fiddle with the left side a little. Those two rocks with the "crack" between them is good, but might benefit from a little more playing about :)

Always good to see your inspiration next to what you've come up with :)

IMGP1008.jpg

1973626603.jpg

ok, thanks guys.. just had the first chance to look at my ae order, the nature soil looks awesome, i cant wait to use it! and the 5 piece tool set isnt bad either, worth the money imo, the only thing im not so sure about is the cal aqua nano lily pipes, they look way tooo small, which in a way could be quite a good thing, im just not sure they suit the height of the tank

Thanks for the help with the rocks, i will have a tinker about and see what i can do :D

right, ive closed the gap as much as i can with the left stones, i think im gna go with this layout, becuase when i have put the substrate in and removed the rocks far left, and maybe tinkered with the front right then it will be pretty good, has anyone got any ideas for planting

IMGP1018.jpg

i guess i need to make a journal. right?

sweet, thanks mate.. just got to take it exactly how it is and move it into the tank :twisted:

how much nature soil should i use at the front and at the back- like 1.5"-4"

Back