• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with identifying sex of my rams

JamieB

Hi all.. I think I have 2 male Rams but I'm not sure... I asked for a male and female and the guy was pretty confident but I can't see the pink patch on the smaller one (second picture) and the black dot doesn't seem to have any blue dots inside..

15xKrca.jpg

KMfTKwI.jpg

Help?!

look more like a male to me. male ram got blue dots on the black patch and female normally has a pink belly. 2nd does look like you have 2 males tho. i might be wrong.

cheers
ryan

here are my pair
you can see the male don't have a lot of blue dots on the black patch and female belly is bright pink
Oct_22_2012_10_11_PM_Apple_i_Phone_4_S_3264x2448.jpg

Last edited:
They look male to me based on the dorsal fins and head shape. Tough to tell nowadays though as they don't always have all the characteristics of a particular sex.

Thanks. I'll give my LFS a call and see if I can swap one out.. Just not sure which to take back as they're both beautiful

I've given the shop a call and they told me that they only had males at the time I purchased them and I should have been told so. No problem though, never had an issue there before so probably a genuine mistake. They have reserved me a female and I will swap a ram tomorrow. I was thinking to take the smaller of the 2 will go back as its a bit smaller

I don't recall your tank size but you might want to try a couple of females, as rams (like many cichlids) form better "pairs" if given a choice in partner ... depending on tank situation you may be able to keep a trio or may want to return the "unpaired" female (it's also possible that the "pairs" may reform)

So, a successful swap later and I have a girl!
V1JqIHz.jpg

Definitely obvious which one is which when you get the right one :p

Back