• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with ID's please. Bacopa, M umbrosum.....

jscoggs27

Hi, Had a go IDing this lot could use some help tho.
Got some info from plant geek, but the pics were not too good, fear mine arent much better. Other sites had conflicting names.
Bacopa sp? (australis?)
nano39.jpg

Micranthemum umbrosum ?
nano36.jpg

Cant find this one,
nano41.jpg

Cryptocoryne's. first is red under the leaf, second green.
nano38.jpg

nano40.jpg

Rotala indica ?
nano37.jpg

thanks, excuse the nube!

Re: Help with ID's please.

jscoggs27 said:
Bacopa sp? (australis?)
nano39.jpg

Looks more like bacopa caroliniana. The stems look thicker than australis.

jscoggs27 said:
Cant find this one,
nano41.jpg

Kinda looks like Rotala sp. "nanjenshan" but I'm not too sure.

jscoggs27 said:
Cryptocoryne's. first is red under the leaf, second green.
nano38.jpg

nano40.jpg

These aren't crypts :) They're stem pants. Not sure on the first one. I was thinking alternanthera reineckii but that plant is massive. Maybe a Hygrophila species?

The second looks like Hygrophila corymbosa "Stricta" to me.

jscoggs27 said:
Rotala indica ?
nano37.jpg

Not sure that it's Indica. Looking at pics of Indica, it has slightly finer leaves. It could be Rotala sp. "Green". They're fairly similar untill you get them under high light etc.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks, that helps a lot. I have somewhere to start looking now! Not sure whats worse shops that sell stuff they dont know anything about, or me buying it in the first place.
Thanks a lot, ill do some more research.

jscoggs27 said:
Rotala indica ?
nano37.jpg

Not sure that it's Indica. Looking at pics of Indica, it has slightly finer leaves. It could be Rotala sp. "Green". They're fairly similar untill you get them under high light etc.

Hope that helps :)[/quote]

polysperma?
later, bazz!

bazz said:
SteveUK said:

Hope that helps :)

polysperma?
later, bazz!

No, definitely not Hygro polysperma. That's much bigger, and the leaves are longer :) It also has more visible veins on the leaves.

Ok, did some more research. So far I think we have;
1,Bacopa monnieri
2, Micranthemum umbrosum,
3, either Rotala sp?, Mayaca fluviatilis or Didplis diandra,
4, Lobelia cardinalis,?
5, Hygrophila corymbosa,
6, Rotala sp?
Number 3 is difficult because its not doing very well. Its colour is darker than it should be and suffering some algae.
Number 4 fits the description, but is supposed to be difficult to grow and mine romping towards the surface.
thanks for your help.

Your right. I'm sure that is D diandra. Thanks a lot. I think ive got em all nailed down now.
Tank has changed now. Didnt help with id the fact that everything was covered in algae! All gone now thankfully.
Bacopa monnieri
Micranthemum umbrosum (Only know this because I just picked up B australis and can obviously compare them easier.)
Didiplis diandra
Alternanthera lilacina
Hygrophila corymbosa
Rotala sp 'green'

thanks for your help.
Ill double check everything in future so I know what iv'e got.

Hi,
Number 4 is most likely an Alternanthera. One of the annoying characteristics of Alternanthera is it's proliferation of aerial roots. The a lovely pink underside however, is a redeeming quality of this plant. It's a good idea to routinely remove these roots otherwise they get get out of hand.

All these plants appear to be suffering nutrient and carbon deficiency to some extent or the other. You may want to review your dosing program and CO2 technique (if this is a CO2 supplemented tank) as well as filter flow rate and distribution.

Cheers,

Thanks, yes your right on all acounts. Untill today have been running yeast diy co2, Had no Macro's either. Light was also a touch on the low side.
I do have some crinkly leaves and the colour of the alternanthera is a bit off still. Algae has moved on. Its a waiting game now I suppose just have to see how it regrows.
Wasnt aware about the roots though. If I leave them is that bad for the plant? I Quite like them like that.
Thanks

no.3 to me is rotala wallichii (above water state/transition)

and no.6 is defo rotala rotundifolia in transition. green is way more greener than that.looks like aquafleurs variety too, as opposed to tropicas..... boy, i know this plant too well :wideyed:

jscoggs27 said:
Thanks, yes your right on all acounts. Untill today have been running yeast diy co2, Had no Macro's either. Light was also a touch on the low side.
I do have some crinkly leaves and the colour of the alternanthera is a bit off still. Algae has moved on. Its a waiting game now I suppose just have to see how it regrows.
Wasnt aware about the roots though. If I leave them is that bad for the plant? I Quite like them like that.
Thanks
Hi,
Light being a touch on the low side never causes a problem. In fact it would be one of the reasons your problems aren't more serious than they are now.

Aesthetics is purely a subjective issue so if you like the look of the roots then that's all that matters, but imagine what it will look like with 30X as many as are there now. Messy roots do contribute blocking flow so this isn't a good thing. Other than these two issues there is nothing necessarily bad about the roots though.

Cheers,

Thanks,
In that case ill keep on top of the roots.
Ive changed things around quite a bit since those photos and it all looks a bit healthier although my aquascaping skills havn't improved at all!The Rotala sp green or rotundiflora has gone.

no.3 to me is rotala wallichii (above water state/transition)

I presume you meant this one? starting to get confused myself!
This hasn't changed much but ill post another pic here, It does look a lot healthier now, some growth. The lileopsis give it some scale. (excuse my spelling)
I dont know what the little crypt is on the right hand side of the pic, all the leaves went crinkly after about 4 hours in the tank.
!!This pic is fairly large.!!

rescape8.jpg

thanks

Back