• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with my plants please

Sirkavu

Hi Everyone!!

I have been having some small problems with 3 of my plants this last days and I don’t know why tbh.

Tank
Juwel Rio 180l

Light
MultiLux LED | Kelvin 9000/6500 | Lumen 5290 | ON for 6h a

Pump
Juwel Ecoflow 1000l/h

Filter
Bioflow M Original

Temp - 24-26c
Water - Hard water
Fertilization - EI Method
CO2 - I use liquid CO2 Easy Carbo 3/4ml 6 days a week.

Sunday 50%WC and I do not put any Liquid CO2.

Plants
Amazon Sword (Aquaflora)
Cyperus Helferi (Tropica)
Staurogyne repens Tropica (1-2 grow)
Alternanthera reickii (Aquaflora)
ludwigia repens (Aquaflora)

Fish
10 zebra danio
10 zebra danio
2 molly
4 golden Gourami
10 Amano shrimp
Cherry Shrimp small colony

My Cyperus Helferi has not stablished at all and started to melt a week after I planted it. I have trimmed the brown bits but took few days to start going brown again. Planted a month ago.
BB04BDE7-9BD3-4D9A-A674-9DC4F6B3E78A.jpeg
For the past 2/3 days, I’ve noticed that my Alternanthera reickii mini started to ‘grow’ some holes. I don’t think it’s the shrimps as they’re not out that much - unless they come out during night. Planted a month ago.
A88AA725-1689-476A-9720-CCCB96A7FBF0.jpeg
E3F940A8-B47B-485D-BB10-F48A20D698E2.jpeg

And then, my staurogyne repens... I love this plant but since I planted them, same time as the reickii, this is how much they grew and doesn’t look they are establishing well too...Planted a month ago.
E9238B48-698B-4CE3-A525-4C8D603CCC86.jpeg

I don’t know about the ludwigia repens rubin, but since I planted - same time as others, it barely grew. I can see 1 is slowly growing, the other 3 are still pretty small.

I do have BBA on my dragon stones and in the Amazon swords, which since I started using the liquid CO2, is slowly disappearing. The green spot algae, after a good clean on the tank is now kind of controlled.

My shrimps are hiding at the moment. The amano shrimps I see 1 or 2 out on the ‘wild’ sometimes, the others stay behind on of my Dragon stones. The cherry shrimps I believe hide at the bottom of my filter. Today after my water change, I saw quite a few babies at the back of my tank :D

bow, whenever I do my WC, all my amano shrimps come out - a phenomen I don’t know why haha:rolleyes::D

full tank photo (sorry the quality hehe)
71B3E4D4-6AC8-4E30-9A98-3FE5AC65ABDE.jpeg

I would be great full if someone could help here - Thanks
I would be great full if someone could help here - Thanks

Last edited:
Should I post this on another area or is just something not relevant for some? :(

For me there’s too much detail and back information missing :sorry:

As an example, @Richard40 posts in his journal
Lockdown EA Aquascaper 900

Water parameters (tap and tank if you measure, tap if you don’t have test kits)
Temp
Water changes
Fish food - lots or minimal re N & P levels
Fertilization - if EI method than above is irrelevant
Lighting (including ambient)
Photoperiod

No CO2 - I’m guessing
Surface agitation - ? While this can increase CO2 off-gassing in a CO2 enriched tank, it can also improve oxygenation and CO2 levels in a non-CO2 tank

Plant ???
- pot or tissue culture, also source (Tropica, Aquaflora etc - branded aquatic nursery plants usually have substantial energy reserves to help transition to submerse growth)
- planted when
- old leafs removed or melted
- decent new growth initially and now poor growth, or always poor growth

What is a “little bit of liquid CO2”
(I’m not familiar with Easy Carbo as not available locally, also note that Green Aqua reported this had different results than using Seachem Excel - which is the only available liquid carbon compound)

Shrimp behaviour- fish related or water quality or ???
(Amano are notorious for doing in Alternanthera reinickii)

Some full tank shots FTS are always helpful :)

Hi @alto thank you very much for the tips!

I have changed and added and hopefully now I have put good information.

again thank you :)

The Cyprus Helferi and the Alternanthera reineckii are both medium difficulty on the Tropica website. I’ve only grown them in a CO2 tank (and even there, as I recall, my CH eventually melted after a blackout - tragic because it’s a gorgeous plant once it gets going - so it is sensitive). So you’ll need some luck to get them to go with liquid carbon - by which I mean it may not be possible.

I would consider replacing the Cyprus Helferi with a Cryptocoryne Crispatulata/Balansee and/or Vallisneria (but sometimes Vallisneria doesn’t like liquid carbon) which will give you a similar effect at the back.

The others should go fine.

As others said, surface agitation is good - it gets more O2 into the water for your livestock and also for the bacteria that are breaking down all the bad stuff. You’ve no CO2 to worry about so go for it.

The Cyprus Helferi and the Alternanthera reineckii are both medium difficulty on the Tropica website. I’ve only grown them in a CO2 tank (and even there, as I recall, my CH eventually melted after a blackout - tragic because it’s a gorgeous plant once it gets going - so it is sensitive). So you’ll need some luck to get them to go with liquid carbon - by which I mean it may not be possible.
The CH is mostly gone, one stem is now kind of growing well (for now at least). The Alternanthera was getting very beautiful and is growing very well. The only problem are the holes appearing in the leaves which I presume might be the Amano at night. I don't know what else can cause holes like those 🤔

I would consider replacing the Cyprus Helferi with a Cryptocoryne Crispatulata/Balansee and/or Vallisneria (but sometimes Vallisneria doesn’t like liquid carbon) which will give you a similar effect at the back.
Good options. I tried Vallisneria but yeah the Liquid Carbon wasn't it's best friend haha bah

Back