• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help With my Turnover.

Hi Aaron,
It's not clear what the relationship is between the lever position and the flow rate. I doubt that it is linear and it could depend on the distance from the water line. The thing is that it is so easy to measure. All you have to do is remove the spray bar so that the effluent comes out of a single point like the tube. With the pump running at whatever lever position you set start shove the mouth of the tube in to a gallon jug or litre jug and start the timer. See how many seconds it takes to fill the jug. The fill rate is therefore 1Litre/Xseconds. Multiply this value by 3600seconds/1Hr.

Example: lets say you have a 1 litre jug and it takes 10 seconds to fill it. The calculation would be as follows,

(1Litre/10seconds)*(3600seconds/1Hr = 360Litre/Hr

If it took only 5 seconds to fill the 1 litre jug the flow rate would be 720Litre per hour.
If you used a 2 litre jug and it took 15 seconds the flow rate would be 480Litre per hour.

Set various lever positions and repeat the test. Then you can mark on the filter with tape or crayon what the relative flow rates are so you would always have a reference like 50%, 75% etc.

Cheers,

aaronnorth said:
I have a fluval 205 on a 60l tank (10x turnover) but i have to lift the lever up to about half way because it is to strong, dos this mean i am only gettin 5x turover?

Too strong? What delivery system do you use i.e. spray bar, lily pipe etc.

I use a Fluval 405 in my 60 litre with lily pipes. The turbulance is pretty low considering.

I have a 205 on my 54litre and initially with the spray bar the flow was too much, when I took it off it was much better. I don't use the fluval outlet, I just left the rubber end piece on that the spray bar was in :)

Thanks for that Clive, the higher you move the leaver up the less flow you get as it cuts off the outflow hole slightly.

George, i only have endlers, shrimp & otto's so they get blown all over (all though the endlers like it), the output is the standard 'wide' nozzle that comes supplied.

I might try it on full for a week and see how it goes,

thanks

Back