• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help with onion plant

Roger36

Seedling
Hello UKAPS :wave:
I have an onion plant in my tank Crinum natens I think, and its really taking over at one end of the tank.
Its slowly blocking out the light, what should I do with it? trim it pull it out?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Roger

Roger36 said:
Hello UKAPS :wave:
I have an onion plant in my tank Crinum natens I think, and its really taking over at one end of the tank.
Its slowly blocking out the light, what should I do with it? trim it pull it out?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Roger

Roger

See attached shortcut regarding all onion plants
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Onion.htm

Regards
paul.

Thanks for the link Paul
Good info but it does not tell how to trim it, should I just cut most of the leaves off as its blocking the light?
Thanks
Roger

Roger36 said:
Thanks for the link Paul
Good info but it does not tell how to trim it, should I just cut most of the leaves off as its blocking the light?
Thanks
Roger

I would remove the leafs you dont want - the same way that you would peel a garden onion.

Paul.

I wouldn't peel the outer layers of the bulb off. I would cut the leaves near the bulb. You may find that the cut ends will probably rot back but the plant will be able to recoop some of the energy stored in the bulb before it does. I found this worked ok with my calamistratum but you need to leave as many leaves as you can at their full length IME to get a healthy plant.

Back