• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with plant choices

DaveWatkin

Hey guys,

Just rescaped my flex and so far only have the epiphytes from my other tank attached to the new red moor. It didn't go to badly considering I placed it all in a filled and populated aquarium, it's not quite how I had planned Hardscaping a dry tank is much easier but GF made his last populated rescape look so easy I thought I would try it.

Now it's done, I wish I had a sand base and then I would probably leave it as is but, as I have the soil I may as well use it. What do you guys suggest I plant around the island? I want to keep it low with the java fern as the back drop so no stems. I'm thinking low growing crypts and some buce covering the rocks?

It's a no CO2, stock (low end) light which will be fertilised once a week so looking at easy plants.

Look forward to hearing your ideas! Hope to get a preorder in to Aquarium Gardens soon.

P.S. any other critique/suggestions welcome too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_181824__01.jpg
    IMG_20210204_181824__01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 155
You can easily syphon away the soil (or even just cover with a layer of sand - depending upon livestock that are going to sift/dig about) and keep for later use

You might test this method in water to add the sand (I’d prewash the sand if it’s very dusty/dirty)

For a “carpet” effect you could do moss on stones, easy to remove for trimming etc

Some plants to consider, though the first two may remain short or grow much taller depending ...
Helanthium tenellum green
Sagittaria subulata
Marsilea hirsuta
Littorella uniflora
Hydrocotyle tripartita

Now it's done, I wish I had a sand base and then I would probably leave it as is
If you'd be happy with that then I'd say go with it. Personally I agree with you and there's space to cram a few more plants between the stones.

As @alto says you can siphon the soil out or with that sized tank I'd likely just siphon all the water out then empty the aquarium and rinse through with a hose which is far quicker and easier in my opinion, you also get to rinse any soil off the wood at the same time. Just take some detailed photos of the stone and wood placement before you do this.
I also agree with alto that the funnel method works well, I used it when I did a marine aquarium a few years back and was really quite simple. You could use a piece of rigid pipe if you don't have any tube on that layout.

Good luck making the choice.
Andrew

Thanks for the responses. Substrate is currently about 40mm deep (6 Litres) and the hardscape sits on top so siphoning out isn't really an option.

Going to stick with the substrate for the time being, not got the spare time for a major rework or space for the current inhabitants while I did it and it re-stabilised, so I will see how it turns out with the plants suggested around the base. If it doesn't work out I can always tear down and redo in 6 months :)

Back