• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with redmoor root

Staffylover

Help!
I recently sterilised my tank after the death of my fish, it was a suspected internal bacteria problem.
I didn't sterilise the wood, I scrubbed this down and allowed it to dry out but I used Milton on my tank and gravel.
I rinsed them both thoroughly and left the gravel soaking for a week in safe (changed the water three times)
I set the tank back up on Saturday using filter media from an existing tank but I noticed a chemical smell in the the water so tonight decided to strip it down again and I have disposed of the gravel.
However the root that had been put back in the tank now smells of what I think is Milton.
It's a large piece so I have no way of boiling it. I can soak it in the bath but will have to remove it every night to allow the family to have a bath.
Do you think the piece is ruined now or is there some way is can get rid of the Milton?

Hi I am soaking some Redmoor at the moment too ready for my tank. It has been soaking for about 2 weeks.
At first I could smell quite a strong chemical odour. It seems to have settled down a bit now but still leaching tannins, the odour is still there but very faint.
I should add that I have not used chemicals at all just water, it was bought via a well known supplier who sell through ebay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I recently sterilised my tank after the death of my fish, it was a suspected internal bacteria problem.
Its always difficult to know what to do.

It isn't actually going to make any positive difference, if you are unfortunate enough to have "next time" you can just dry the gravel out (in the sun is best due to the UV, but in the oven is fine). Aquarium gravel and sand are silica based and impermeable etc.

On some forums (particularly American ones) whenever there is a problem a lot of people post "nuke everything", but it is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the biological processes involved.
I rinsed them both thoroughly and left the gravel soaking for a week in safe (changed the water three times)
I set the tank back up on Saturday using filter media from an existing tank but I noticed a chemical smell in the the water so tonight decided to strip it down again and I have disposed of the gravel.
However the root that had been put back in the tank now smells of what I think is Milton.
That should be OK.,

Milton's solution is just sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) (and sodium chloride (NaCl)), the advantage of chlorine bleach as a sterilant is that if you add an excess of an ordinary (sodium thiosulphate (Na2S2O3) based) dechlorinator to the tank water you should be fine.

I agree with @tim, I would soak the wood for a while to get rid of any salt, again there is no reason not to add some dechlorinator.

cheers Darrel

I once wanted to sterilise some Eheim blue filter pads before taking them to storage . I soaked them in a bleach solution then rinsed and soaked them in a sodium thiosulphate solution. But they still smelt of chorine. So I resoaked them until there were mosquito lavae in the water. Now they are in the box but admittedly I am still afraid to use them in the future.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I soaked them in a bleach solution then rinsed and soaked them in a sodium thiosulphate solution. But they still smelt of chorine. So I resoaked them until there were mosquito lavae in the water. Now they are in the box but admittedly I am still afraid to use them in the future.
I'm a reluctant bleach user as well.

The sponges should be safe through the passage of time, even if you hadn't rinsed them in dechlorinator.

I have a colleague who is a <"microbiologist"> (interested in public health and the risks in the home) and it is interesting talking to him and getting a perspective on what works, what constitutes a health risk and probably more to the point what doesn't.

cheers Darrel

I fly fish and do fly tying. There are plenty of roadkill pheasants near where I live. If I get some tail feathers I put them in the microwave to sterilize them.

Would this work for filter pads etc.

Tom

Reactions: xim
Back