• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with substrate!

Mini Mellow

Seedling
I'm wanting to add some plants to my aquariums, they currently have no substrate whatsoever. I have been doing some research on both dirted tanks and using a inert substrate but i'm not to sure which to go for. I bought some plants yesterday which are all stem plants (not sure on the species :lol:) if this is important at all.
Can any of you lovely people help suggest that close enough matches my criteria for me :)
So my criteria for a substrate is as follows;
1) Can't release ammonia (or a minimal amount)
2) Not increase PH (as mine is already at 7)
3) Preferably can be topped with sand

You could just use aquatic compost. I've used Westland and it works well, and is by far the cheapest option. Or you could go for Tropica Growth Substrate. However, they are both going to release ammonia. But if you have a mature filter it shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if you do daily water changes. In a new setup my tank usually cycles in around a week.

You could also use Tropica Aquarium Soil this doesn't really have much of an ammonia spike, but it's really meant to be used as an all in one substrate without being capped.

Back