• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help?

xweeqtx

Seedling
I've managed to get a lovely collection of plants, and have some gorgeous bits of normal driftwood, and a stunning piece of sumatra wood as well. But, I just can't get a good looking scape to work.

I had a bit of a play about last night, and used two thick bits of driftwood to "entwine" with the sumatra, to be used as a centrepiece. That looks great but everything else looks out of place. I'm waiting on some java fern, which I thought would be great to tie onto the normal bits of driftwood in the centrepiece to break it up a little bit, and blend the sumatra a little better.

I've got another rooty piece of wood with flame moss growing(hopefully), and a flattish/decorative piece of mopani wood with anubias on it. Plant wise I have a huge amount of rotala roundifola, blyxa, and another few large stem plants I don't know the name of and hopefully be getting some large swords. Some HC, vallis, and a small crypt. I also have a coconut cave covered with java moss and topped with java fern that's needed for the Appistogramma hongsloi as they love it so much :rolleyes: All of this I have no idea how to place. The HC I know will be placed in bits at the front of the tank. Is it more attractive to bunch certain plants together in groups or to spread them out and mix them up? It's that way I know what I'm wanting, but can't get it right. I'd like the other two bits of wood kinda visible, but blending in at the back and/or sides with plenty of shade and cover from background plants. Like a jungle feel? It's a Cichlid tank, so it needs cover.

Will be changing to black sand from playsand on Thursday, so won't be doing the full scape(that will be staying put) until then. Everything is just kinda chucked in at the moment to keep it alive(I lie, it was attempted and doesn't look right LOL). So if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free!

Some pictures of your attempts/the wood/the tank would probably help immensely. :)

Oops, sorry! Excuse the bad photo, I still can't get used to the new camera - lighting is all wrong. As you can see, it just looks thrown together even though I spend AGES on it :lol: The way it was before I did this, the fish all had hiding spots and things but now as you can see everything is staying at the front of the tank instead of disappearing into the jungle. It really looks crap :( I'm changing the background to plain black, as well as the substrate to black sand. I really want the sides and back filled in with plants, but still leaving space for the fish to get behind/in about those plants as well.

000_0299.jpg

Back