• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hemianthus callitrichoides Grown in the garden?

PaulP

Hi everyone, Was at a friend's house last night and noticed under his tree it looked to be Hemianthus callitrichoides growing all around it! its basically created a carpet around the tree. It's growing all around his garden like weeds in between slabs of concrete. Could it be HC? or just some kind of weed that looks like it? Was quite surprised as it looks very much like HC and theres enough of it to fill quite a few say 4ft tanks! guess you could understand why i hope this could be HC as they go for around £3.50 everywhere near me and it might be growing in my friend's garden where i could have it for free! if it is HC :lol:

Phone ran out of battery last night so didnt get a chance to take a picture but will get him to take 1 today and i'll post it up.

Sorry if this could be an obvious answer as i dont have much knowledge of plants, i did try to goggle it and it always showed HC being just a aquatic plant.

IMG-20120718-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20120718-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20120718-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20120718-WA0001.jpg

Here's the photos. Only meant to post 1 but my mate insisted as he said he tried to make it look good like the photos here on ukaps haha. (iPhone camera BTW) any comments on the photos? I will pass on. worse the better =P

as you can see the leaves on this plant is bigger than what you get in a HC pot but there are smaller ones growing around the garden that looks exactly like what you see in a HC tropica pot. These have just been growing for a while now he said.

So any idea?

Was thinking of just trying anyway as only reason I went out yesterday to get some things for my nano im actually doing now. So will go get a little handful as i wont be getting any plants until the weekend for my nano.

Thanks Darrel.

Thats a shame. Was looking forward to digging up the friend's garden. Did look it up and found some people have actually tried growing it submersed but high majority have failed. Some have also said to of grown it around there pond both submersed/emersed with success. Anyway I might have a little fun and try grow it, just finished setting up my nano but wont have plants in until the weekend or longer so this could just keep me occupied till then.

Hi all,
There are native Callitriche spp. (Water Starwort) that look similar (but are a bit bigger). They are true aquatics but I assume they don't do very well in heated Aquaria or more people would use them.

Luis had a go with some Crassula helmsii, which is also found in the UK, although it is a notifiable "noxious weed" and shouldn't be on sale anywhere. I'm not sure how he got on.

cheers Darrel

Crassula was a true weed, great for carpets.. But I disposed of it on a fire, too risky to keep it. :)

Mind your own business is a good plant for emersed. I got two large pots with it.

Back