Hemianthus micranthemoides

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Superman, 5 Apr 2009.

1. Superman

Superman Member

Whats the best way to create a bush type effect with the above plant? I'd like nice compact leaves too.
    I planted it in single stems but am wondering if I should of put a few stems all together?

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I would do it the same way you do any stems, plant it dense, then give it a good hair cut once its established, it should grow back even denser, but you'll have to keep on top of it, it does get that leggy look pretty quickly.

Sam

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i planted mine in single stems, then waited until it reached the surface and trimmed. I doubt it would of got past 30cm anyway so if it gets to that height then give it a trim.

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i'd plant in bunches of 3 or 4 stems.

trimming when it gets to the top of the tank is a guideline. what happens if your tank is 80cm?......it's a small stem so treat it as such, imagine it in a 30cm tank, even if your tank is taller.

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

it started to get a bit straggley in my tank, and that was 30cm (actually less considering water line & substrate depth)

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

and for this reason, placing stems strategicly behind hardscape and such is crucial when deciding on a trimming height.

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

and depth of the stems, i only left about 3" and it caused me loads of problems :twisted: you live & learn... :lol:

8. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

I used to plant in 5 stems, and would also remove the whole stem and cut to the desired length, and then replant when they got too long.

DSC00094.jpg

9. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

that works i guess but to get a bush, i'd trim and leave the bottom bit in. a lot less hassle to :D

10. Superman

Superman Member

Thanks for the advice.

When I initially plant how long should the stems be? Should I cut it short to encourage new growth?

My current stems don't seem to be coping well and wonder if I should trim them and start all over?