• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hemianthus micranthemoides

blackwater

Seedling
I've bought tropica plant Hemianthus micranthemoides from TGM. It looks very short and very
similar to Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'. Did they send me a wrong one or HM is supposed to look like
HC when come in the pot. Any idea :?:

blackwater said:
I've bought tropica plant Hemianthus micranthemoides from TGM. It looks very short and very
similar to Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'. Did they send me a wrong one or HM is supposed to look like
HC when come in the pot. Any idea :?:
it will be fine, ive had the same from tgm and it took me a while to find it in the tanks as I couldnt recognise it. It will bush out and grow larger when in your tank. both tanks in my sig have the tropica stuff in from tgm

You'll find that HM spreads horizontally and vertically at the same time when it grows. It should form a nice bush! Just be careful you don't let it get too thick else you'll get die off of the lower stems. Just give it a good trim when it's looking too thick :)

here it is in my scape...

side view...

_MG_2813-01.jpg

it's the left most plant.

_MG_2817-01.jpg

you can see it bushing on the left of this pic

flashpractise2.jpg

it's real invasive under high light.

What is the size of your tank? HM seems to grow quite tall.
By the way, your tank looks stunning. I love to get ADA style tank like this too (I'm thinking of 90*45*45 cm optiwhite glass)
Can you recommend where to get it from?

blackwater said:
What is the size of your tank?

its a 60cm optiwhite.

blackwater said:
HM seems to grow quite tall.

it can. where it's in slight shade, it's starting to grow upwards, but on the left in full sun so to speak it's growing in every direction. it's forming horizontal runners which are sending out roots the floor.

blackwater said:
Can you recommend where to get it from?

3 choices....all good!

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/ ... 0-%20(10mm)

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... 14_193_209

or

http://aquariums.ltd.uk/

this was day 1 3 weeks ago...for comparison. :D

mailcopy.jpg

before.jpg

Thanks again!! I can see lots of attention you did to your tank. excellent work :D

I thought that I'd post on this thread rather than starting another one on the same subject.

I asked the same question on another forum but thought I'd ask it here as there seems to be more people online here...

I'd like to have something similar to saintly's pictures above in my nano. I'm currently waiting for the HM to touch the surface level before trimming and think this is taking too long. I'm trying to use the cuttings to use in the tank so can't trim too often as the cuttings will be small.

Currently, I planted the stems last week that were about 1-2cm tall (max) and they've doubled in size in a week, should I just trim the back to 1-2cm to create the two new shoots?

Any tips on trimming this plant would be much appreciated, any photos you have would also be good so I can what I need to do.

i would hazard a guess that individual growing conditions dictate the outcome of HM within our own tanks.

from what i've seen of yours Clark, yours is growing up compared to mine which grows sideways. so, I'll get a bush effect much easier than you. that's not to say your doing wrong or I'm doing it right. remember my light is major.
i have HM growing from under the anubias, about 6 inches from where it was planted. it's creeping around my tank like HC.

treat like any other stem, allow to grow, trim and leave. replant the cuttings to get density.BUT, beware, don't keep trimming at any sign of new growth! you'll put it into shock. maybe, instead of trimming when it reaches the surface, allow it to fill the tank a little.

one other thing....nearly all stems will grow back if there's just 1 node left. so you can really cut hard if you like. it's about experimentation.

Funny you should say that yours grow sideways, my nano currently has two different sides of HM growth.
- On the right is where I've planted it nice and neatly and that's lower at the minute but more dense.
- On the left is where I've just planted it and I've not kept it tidy at all (mainly as I'm waiting for new cuttings) and there's a few shoots that have gone along the substrate and are starting to turn upwards.

As you suggest, I'll try a few things with the HM growth and see what works. I might wait for it to grow half way and keep it at that height for a while.

It's interesting to see that plants react in totally different ways depending on their environment.

From a personal point of view, the stage of "how to make things grow to look nice" is where I'm at, after the stage of "keeping things alive and growing well without algae issues".

Back