• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

here goes nuttin folks....

ohhh not doing moss again....only just seem to manage to get rid of the java mos....still get sprigs of it appear from nowhere.....I have the origonal rocks still covered in Java moss if anyone wants to make an offer?

Got my tripod out and took some more pix, got one of the very red shrimps too

36201830290_b504a9d077_b.jpg
img7540xi by leetaylor, on Flickr

35788780023_979fd882ac_b.jpg
img7549j by leetaylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Disaster this morning!
Well, I had just got the tank looking nice again after a re scape I was about to take some new pictures….when I got up this morning and went to check on the fish I instantly thought something was wrong. The room felt warm and there was a fishy smell..
My Hydor inline heater thermostat seems to have malfunctioned.
I was met with a cloudy tank where my poor fish had been cooked…..many had exploded….
I had to go to work and as there were obviously no survivors (the glass was hot to touch) I switched the heater off and will get back to it this afternoon.

I’m gutted…I had so many cherry red shrimp and a lovely clown loach in there too (who was not interested in eating the shrimp)
Looks like I’ll be fishing out the bodies and hoping the plants have survived.
I’m thinking that all the bacteria in the filter will be cooked too?

Sad to hear that mate,
I VERY! Nearly did the same thing the other week, caught the hydor roller switch and knocked it right up.
Luckily, mine got to 30 degrees and I noticed, by chance I happend to put my hand in the top and it was getting like bath water!

As you said, my glass was warm to the touch too!

Hope some livestock Has survived,
Regards

Unfortunatly I dont think anything will have made it though it....The tank is cooling down over the day so "hopfully" somthing will have survived but if im honest if you battered those fish you would have served them with chips

Was just about to say how fantastic it look and how your shrimp had such good colour. Was so gutted when read the last post about your heater.

ok...i got home and after a day of the tank cooling down it was still at 29 degrees....got in there with the net hoyked all the bodys I could get at out (felt awfull when I got my 5 inch clown loach out...id had him for years). oh and when i tested the heater...gues what working perfectly now!..I think the bimetallic strip must have just got stuck but ive ordered a new heater any way to be on the safe side and a temprature moniter with an a cut off and alarm just in case as I am NEVER going through this again!

i did about a 2/3 water change...I didnt do the whole thing as lets face it if any nasty bacteria were in there they would have been cooked away!...and put some filter start in there (I asume the filter will have been nuked too)

I was also anoied that the pesky baby snails which have been feeding my clown loach nicly seem to have all survived to so I will end up needing to do somthing about them...

BUT!!!!!!

as i was looking in falawnly I noticed a little movement....

I have counted thus far three baby shrimp which have survived! Hopfuly with I wil have at least one of a diferent sex to the others and they will repopulate!...they also have no fish to try and eat them so should have a decent chance of surviving!

I am VERY gutted though :(

Sorry to hear this, good luck with survivors, there may be a few more you haven't noticed yet as well.

btw this; "the other week, caught the hydor roller switch and knocked it right up."
sounds like bad design. Once your temp is set right, could you put a spot of silicone (or other easily removeable sticky stuff) on the switch to keep it in the right position?

In a big tank, or where the livestock is valuable or much-loved, it's worth thinking about using two heaters. You use the same total wattage, but if one sticks 'on' the tank will only overheat very slowly (if at all) as only half the heating is stuck. And if one fails, the other will slow down the temperature drop, giving you more time to notice and fix the problem.
That protection device you mention sounds like a good idea too, but I've never tried one.

Sparky,

It was during a tank move, obviously its connected to the pipework so i removed it in a oner, I didnt check it was at the normal level when i reinstated it in the ADA cabinet.

Just a slight error that could have had the potential disastrous effects listed here.

Fortunately it did not, and although it did not cause any ill effects, Ive still learnt to be even more vigilant than i already am.

Expensive livestock or not, every life is just as precious.

Regards,

I agree mate...specialy the clown loach....baught him from a LFS as it was closing down too for a pittance

I know from time to time I think of taking my aquarium down, but I know within a week I'll be itching to put it back up. I've only had the one problem since I've been keeping fish and that also was a faulty heater, so now I just don't use one, problem solved!

Well i saw a surviving shrimp again today (doing 1/4 water changes daily as there is no way i managed to get all the bodys out of the fowlage).....and there is no chance of me giving up...my marine tank is going well and a planted tank looks so nice how could you give up?
I am soooo hoping that as these babies are so small there are a few of them in there i just havent seen.

Anyway...replacement heater and failsafe on the way....Ill give it about 2-3 weeks for the filter to start working properly again and to fish anything out that i find in ther then im back in business....so...as i have a virgin tank with no fish to anoy ewch other...what do you recon I should re stock with?

ok...update...been watching the tank like a hawk and i think i have about 5-6 surviving shrimp one of which is deffinatly femail!!!! (unfortunatly not particularly red but hopfully this is stress induced) however...I got home today to hear what could only be described as a drill going off under the tank...the impeller in the tetratec ex700 had broken!!! arrrgh!!!!!!!!! what more can it chuck at me!!!!
new one ordered and on the way....as there are no fich in the tank yet I am hoping a 10% daily water change will keep it ok for the few shrimp till it arrives

Ok impeller installed...I guess just as everything had settled down the few days with the filter not running will have knocked all the bactria out so I will have to wait another week or so to add any fish....having no fish in there has let loads of little creatures spawn though....they look like tiny sea monkeys so I asume they are dafnia which the fish normaly would munch...not sure how they got in the tank though but I think the first fish to go in will get a nice feed!

I deffinatly have at leat two feemail shrimp left as they are now sporting egg saddles so hopfuly the repopulation will start very soon!

I think a coupple of small plecs to start with......

Back