• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

here goes nuttin folks....

Gutted...one of the led lamps was faulty :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Afternoon guys so the tank is progressing well and my HC actually seems to be growing for the first time!!!! Huzahhhh!!!!
ive also undertaken to build a new hood for my tank so i can control the lighting better...equipment on the way and updates will follow!

Anyone got any advise?

still waiting for all the equipment to arrive...well one bit..the lights are already and working...

Hi peeps

Well a lot has happened since my last post...I built my hood...which is now sagging so plan for tommroe is to brace it with alluminium tubing.

also the battery went in my timer when we had a powercut so co2 flooded my tank and I lost a lot of stock...

This is behind me now and i have started...operation carpet!!

26108241511_d73d8d2e90_b.jpgOperation carpet by leetaylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi All...this is me mixing my ferts

Attachments

• 25774240073_d12b841fe1_o.jpg
    25774240073_d12b841fe1_o.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Scales...scale...what in earth are scales for ? :D

Spoons is much easier, just mix x spoonfuls in water job done. My spoons were £2.99 for six from Robert Dyas. ;)

All the original EI research used spoonfuls.

Surly that depends on the density of the item your measuring ...e.g. my trace elements are heaver than my potassium therefore you would get a miss match?

Surly that depends on the density of the item your measuring ...e.g. my trace elements are heaver than my potassium therefore you would get a miss match?
Within realms of 5-6gr you are fine. Remember your are trying to dose in excess of what the plants require, so dosing 3gr is probably in excess (level spoonful), so is 5gr (heaped spoonful)..so just dose spoonful's you will be fine. If worried about under-dosing use heaped spoonful's, the ingredients are cheap.

If really worried you could weight 1 spoonful of each ingredient to know what it actually is, then alter spoonful dosing accordingly.

EI was meant to be simple and easy and difficult to get wrong, so no need to mess around weighing things, just spoon away.

Hi, update time,

I had a big algae outbreak which I have finally got on top of.

Here is what she is looking like now:

35141285622_5e339af26e_b.jpg
Tank today by leetaylor, on Flickr

34920272370_f268fabeb7_b.jpg
2017-06-14_06-46-53 by leetaylor, on Flickr

35178197641_f868101af3_b.jpg
2017-06-14_06-47-19 by leetaylor, on Flickr

Also how do other people stick things up under their tank? ive tried all types of doubble sided tape with no joy

35141285622_5e339af26e_b.jpg

Hi, so I have been a busy monkey this week.

Firstly my new shrimp have had babies after turning a glorious red colour

34660643413_043cb76966_b.jpg
2017-06-22_07-48-51 by leetaylor, on Flickr

35764786345_82b96276d1_b.jpg
Baby shrimp by leetaylor, on Flickr

So thats the fauna news....

The real news is I have upgraded my lighting and .... oh yes and!!!! I have made my tank Wifi controled!!!!

I have got rid of my extension lead with an inbuilt timer and installed Wifi sockets.

35632875201_27f490f856_b.jpg
New bits box by leetaylor, on Flickr

Here you can see the CO2 plug with the two lighting plugs next to them. they only cost a tenner each and the best bit is I now have an app on my phone which I can not only run the timing of them but also manually intervene...

34923521594_56ca11484e_b.jpg
My WiFi tank! by leetaylor, on Flickr

My tank is in the dining room so if i have people over or just want to check up on things i can control the lights with the app as i couldn't bi pass the timers before.

The lighting I have got is the three bar interpet 75CM lighting bar

34923682504_9e6e54b31e_b.jpg
triple_led_2 by leetaylor, on Flickr

The light is a bit "colder" to the eye but definitely brighter than the two T8 led strips I had in there....I shall upload some pics later as the lights have gone on and off too much tonight and I dont want to stress the fish

Nice cherries there and a great set-up.

I've been using Wemo to control my tank lighting schedule for a while now and I love it. I travel a fair bit so it's nice to be able to check everything has been running as it should. I also have hooked the lighting up to Alexa (amazon) so I can ask the light to turn on by voice which is good for anything I need to switch the lighting on for.

I have yet to hook up my CO2 to a smart socket, think that's my next task. I've resisted so far in part because smarthome products are still bedding in and an outage which might fail to switch off CO2 when required worries me. I guess so long as you aren't running at max CO2 a blip wouldn't hurt too much.

My Co2 is controlled by the PH monitor (the grey box on the right hand side) so even if it fails to turn off then it will never over load the CO2. all the wifi is doing is switching the monitor off and on.

It is awsom to be at work and think...."I can turn the lights off from here" lol

right...time to actualy do some work...Ill take pics of the tank with the new lighting tonight!

So pic update of the tank with the new lights.

the plants are pearling like MAD so there must be a lot of extra light in there

So here are the lights in the hood

34940736404_7600771b86_b.jpg
New lights by leetaylor, on Flickr

the brightness of them was making the camera not focus

so onto the tank its self...

34940729514_c57fa83dc0_b.jpg
New lighting by leetaylor, on Flickr

35393067870_e2922e61c1_b.jpg
New lighting by leetaylor, on Flickr

It is deffinatly a lot brighter...i think i will need to get used to it

I also cought sight of another baby shrimp so had to take a pic :)

35651462031_098d6e601a_b.jpg
Another baby shrimp by leetaylor, on Flickr

So now fingers crossed there will be enough light in there to get a carpet growing!!!!

My Co2 is controlled by the PH monitor (the grey box on the right hand side) so even if it fails to turn off then it will never over load the CO2. all the wifi is doing is switching the monitor off and on.

Nice :) that's the trick.

Hi,

My shrimp have been very busy and I have a couple of broods of babies in there now, Its great to see them swimming about and munching the algae.

35414186510_b2ed13c005_b.jpg
Two broods of baby shrimp by leetaylor, on Flickr

This is two babies from the two broods one much bigger than the other.

I thought I would also show a pic from my other hobby, growing the succulent plant Lythops or "living Stones"

This is a plant I grew from seed and have just potted up so I can have it on my desk at work...I've decided to call it Brian

35005572774_25400f956d_b.jpg
Lithops by leetaylor, on Flickr

So an update, I have acquired a couple of bits of bogwood with annubus attached.

35833124641_d2c0e32779_b.jpg
Looking good by leetaylor, on Flickr

I think its looking quite good now....I think i need to prune the plants at the front though

Hi all,
I think its looking quite good now....I think i need to prune the plants at the front though
Yes, it is looking good.

Rather than pruning the Cryptocoryne at the front, I'd take the dead leaves out of the Java Ferns, they won't green up again but new green leaves should grow from the rhizome tips.

cheers Darrel

Back