• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Here is the proof...

Dave Spencer

...that I am finally back to aquascaping. I set this one up at the GFs house, so played it safe with an Amano NA copy. It is only one month old, so the mosses are a little untidy as I am letting them take hold before any cutting and shaping.

pb-1.jpg

Dave.

What is the sand? It looks much better than that I used, mine is just too fine!

Cheers for the comments, guys.

Garuf, the sand/gravel is from TGM. It is in unmarked bags and they have tons of it!

Mark, just trim moss to the shape you want. This is my first attempt with mosses, so I am learning too. The mosses are Taxiphyllum barbieri, Taxiphyllum sp (spiky moss) and Leptodyctium riparium (Stringy moss). They are all Tropica mosses, which is about time they grew some.

Dave.

Hi Dave.
What I believe I like most is the variation and transition of textures.
Interesting sand/gravel too. What kind is that?
Keep it up, can't wait to see more.

Stu, this is the one you have seen.

Thanks for the comments Clive and aaron.

George, I hope to make this a long term scape, considering the size of the tank (120cm). I will move in my badly neglected 60cm soon and use it for short term stuff.

Fred, this is my first real attempt at Crypts, mosses etc. The variety of textures and shapes seems to be greater than using stems where things seem to be more subtle.

Here is a quickie full tank, sort of:

lr1of1.jpg

I`ll write down the full spec later, but I have to rush off for now.

Dave.

P.S. It`s good to get my right arm wet again. :D

Glad to see you finally using Crypts Dave. Love the look of the scape. Looks quite cool with the glassware at both ends too.

AC

It was about time I grew out of my boy racer, high light, Rotala phase Andy. :lol: And yes, the glassware and clear tubing does need a good clean. :oops:

Tank specs:
Hardware;
2 x Tetratec 1200s with added Zeolite and Purigen
300W Hydor inline heater
Pressurised CO2 via an Aquamas reactor
3 x 38W reflected T8 lights in an Arcadia luminaire
120cm x 45cm x 45cm float glass tank. I wanted opti white, but Ray at Aquariums Ltd kindly offered me this one at an unbeatable price 8)

Hardscape;
Wood picked up off the fields of N. Wales and an Almond grove in Spain. The rocks/stones are my usual N. Wales quarry source, but they should disappear under the mosses. The coarse sand is from TGM.

Ferts;
ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia where there are plants
Macros are EI using AE powders
Micros are Flourish from a bottle Johnny the wop gave me ;)
CO2 as high as is comfortable for the fish

Flora;
Cryptocoryne undulata (a beautiful plant)
Cryptocoryne parva
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias barteri `coffefolia`
Staurogyne sp
Hygrophyla corymbosa `compact`
Rotala sp `green`
Rotala sp `nanjenshan`
Leptodyctium riparium
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Taxiphyllum sp `spiky moss`

Fauna;
Trigonostigma hengeli (Copper harlequin)
Colisa chuna (Honey gourami)

I made one or two cock ups with the tank. The stems do not have enough front to back depth, making it hard to keep them low at the front and a lot taller at the back. These may eventully get changed with a tall gassy background, or possibly C. balansae.

One of the branches had a sawn off end which I disguised with moss, but the moss is now very close to the front glass, which I don`t really like.

Ah well, sit back for a month or three and see where the scape takes me.

Dave.

Whereabouts is the Undulata? I can't see it although maybe it is still quite small. Mine are approx 12inches tall nowadays.

If you don't like things close to the glass (oh dear) you wait till Crypts start appearing at the very front miles away from where the 'mother' plant is. lol

The 2ft long Spiralis I just got rid off kept appearing right at the front to my annoyance. ;)

AC

Hi Dave,
Awesome looking tank, she's a very lucky lady, any chance you could pop round n help me with my new 48"x24"x20" when i set it up in a couple of weeks? :lol:
What kind of wood can you use & how do you know if it will alter the water chemistry or not, I've always bought wood from shops?
Regards
Will

Back