• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Here is the proof...

Cheers Garuf, but I would have to pull the whole scape apart.

Dave.

Christ dave you always seem to have crap luck when you dont need it most,well i hope you get it sorted for the comps,
regards john.

Ahh, perhaps not so good then.
Just keep at it with the excel and high co2. it's a real terror to get rid of though. And depending on the moss it can respond badly to excel.

Just whats happened to me :mad:
Reckon ADA is out the window for me, but with a it of luck, AGA will feature a jay tank.
I've found that cranking up the co2 helps get rid of spirogyra in quick time.

Good luck fella.

So here is an impromptu shot of the whole tank, although I did use a tripod this time. I`m not sure why, but something isn`t quite right with the image having saved it for the web as a JPEG from its RAW format.

Anyway, the mosses are matted with spriogyra after my CO2 blunder, and the Crypts at the bottom right have a bit of staghorn. The Bolbitis isn`t laying the way it would for a final photograph because of the water flow, and I obviously haven`t taken out the hardware.

Whether I will get that final shot of this tank is debatable, as the moss is really difficult to keep clear, and having had it since last September, I am done with looking at it.

My thoughts are that moss is a pain in the blahblahblahblah, and I may have let the Bolbitis get too tight a grip on this scape, and hide away most of the Anubias sp.

finalishcrop.jpg

I may have to have another try once the stems that I cut back in the background are more prominent, and hopefully with some studio lighting.

Dave.

Mate i really like it, the bolbitis is very dominating but thats not a bad thing! You can't tell from the photos that you have algae issues. The only critique i would give is that the sand is quite clinical and flat, a bit of tweaking and it's done IMO. Love your work pal

Cheers for the comments guys. glad you like it. My next scape of this type should be better, considering what little I knew starting out with a fairly complex scape in a tank twice the size I am used to.

I reckon another week fighting with the moss will give the Rotala at the back time to play more of a part. The moss is a little untidy, but I have been at it with the scissors quite a bit, so it needs a rest. :lol:

It`s funny how a scapes character can alter on the little screen. I reckon from now on I will alter things according to how the image on my computer looks, rather than what looks good stood in front of it.

Dave.

You can trim moss super hard, it can take it. When I got algae in my moss I trimmed it so that the moss on the rocks looked like green hundreds and thousands and it still grew back fine.
Have you tried using a small bottle brush on the moss, that's another one that works well.

Dave Spencer said:
It`s funny how a scapes character can alter on the little screen. I reckon from now on I will alter things according to how the image on my computer looks, rather than what looks good stood in front of it.

Dave.
That's a really interesting comment and one I've thought about a lot before, especially with regards my own 'scapes.

I wonder if it's possible to create a rubbish 'real' layout that looks great two-dimensionally?

I do think that some out there can make their 'scape look better than it really is by using photography and post-processing.

Looking good dave although its always better to see it in the flesh as you say the tanks we do can look very two dimensional when on screen. We'll have to have a go with the camera club lights as Ive got them on long term loan. Have you been trying the spot dosing with easycarbo on that moss after the co2 outage, worked wonders on mine which I squirted on at water change in a 1:10 ratio of easycarbo/water then left for 5 mins in the air before refilling. (of course it might be a bit too low in the tank to do that!)

Dan, I have just noticed your comment about the gravel. I have to have mine nice and flat at the front, otherwise I find it too distracting. It dose remove a little interest from the area, admittedly.

George, I am beginning to agree with those that say a tank should be judged either in person, or by a short video.

Cheers, Garuf. The moss was a little neglected prior to the CO2 run out, due to non stop work, and started to detach from the wood, but it does take a good kicking. I may take it back to the bits that are attached to the wood and try again. It seems to grow fairly quickly.

Stu, I think I was spot dosing in the early days of this tank and the moss didn`t like it. I may try misting a small amount to see if that helps. It would be great to get the lighting around for a session. I just couldn`t get my second flash to fire remotely, last night. I don`t know why.

Dave.

This tank is now stripped down due to a house move. I had big plans for this tank in my new house, but it doesn`t appear to fit in anywhere. I like my tanks to compliment a room and be part of the decor, rather than shoe horn them in. Unfortunately, this tank doesn`t look as if it is going to fit in anywhere, so it looks like storage in the garage for the foreseeable future.

The fish have been moved in to a hastily set up 60cm opti white with Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Cyperus helferi and needle leaf Jave fern. I had some Amazonia left over, but it wasn`t really enough for proper planting and scaping, plus the hardscape is some scraggy bits of left over wood. Still, this tank has a nice grassy look, but is only temporary until I find the time to get back to proper aquascaping. I think the Juwel Lido may come out of retirement, because one 60l tank isn`t going to be enough for me.

I just don`t have any time for aquascaping or photography at the moment, but at least the break is recharging my batteries and should I be attacking both hobbies full of ideas and enthusiasm by the new year. It is over a year since I put together a proper scape (the 60cm doesn`t count :lol: ).

Dave.

Back