• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Here we go again - Spec V Iwagumi

What the hell is wrong with me?

After selling the rio I went out and got a spec v. Seems im either addicted or have more money than sense.

Lets see how this goes.

Not sure whether to DSM it (not done that before) or just flood and see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_20190601_105327.jpg
    IMG_20190601_105327.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 227
My local shop has been running a couple of high tech Iwagumi style Spec 19 - they’ve done really well
Both were DSM
Only livestock has been shrimp ... which have bred loads (blue dream shrimp, orange Caridina (no idea what this actually is, but definitely not the same as orange Neo’s))
Current scapes are HC (blue shrimp), Utricularia graminifolia which was just transitioning from DS (they flooded to about 10cm water last I saw, with CO2 but no water flow obviously)
Previously dwarf hairgrass with the orange shrimp

I vote for some distance between your stones ;)

My local shop has been running a couple of high tech Iwagumi style Spec 19 - they’ve done really well
Both were DSM
Only livestock has been shrimp ... which have bred loads (blue dream shrimp, orange Caridina (no idea what this actually is, but definitely not the same as orange Neo’s))
Current scapes are HC (blue shrimp), Utricularia graminifolia which was just transitioning from DS (they flooded to about 10cm water last I saw, with CO2 but no water flow obviously)
Previously dwarf hairgrass with the orange shrimp

I vote for some distance between your stones ;)

Are you able to get pics next time you're in? I'm in the midst of also setting up my spec v again, looking for inspiration!

Are you able to get pics next time you're in? I'm in the midst of also setting up my spec v again, looking for inspiration!
:lol:
I am shockingly bad at aquarium photography :wideyed: :wideyed: :confused: :eek:
I don’t go to this shop very often but will try to remember to take some phone pics

I think you could add some tension to the hardscape by not having all rocks placed at the same angle. :)

Thanks all for your replies. In the end I planted it and flooded it. Reason being I wanted to check everything was working (this was a ex display tank for 70 quid with tetra active substrate all ready in)

Spare reg and solenoid on a FE seems to working with a ceramic diffuser in the filter. Heater seems to working ok, again this was a spare in the aquarium junk box that always seems to get fuller ;)

The hardscape was played with quite a bit but after flooding the rocks decided where they wanted to be...

I'll smooth out the substrate at some point so its not so jarring.

E mini as a carpet and crypts in the back left corner

What do you think?

IMG_20190601_150409.jpg

Looks good :D

Can’t wait for that unfortunately coloured substrate to disappear under plants :p

I rather like the uneven substrate line, it will look good once the grass grows in

Not sure about the crypt aesthetics - strong contrast in colour, texture, shape (in a small Iwagumi) - and your rocks already speak up ;) ... though I’d be inclined prop them up for more height, they’ll be lost as the hairgrass grows in

(I dislike trimmed HG, it loses so much of its character ... the Shop HG version was left untrimmed, they’d added height at the “back” with substrate slope, unfortunately it gave way for the UG version - the orange shrimp on that green grass was stunning (yet subtle))

Looks good :D
Not sure about the crypt aesthetics - strong contrast in colour, texture, shape (in a small Iwagumi) - and your rocks already speak up ;) ... though I’d be inclined prop them up for more height, they’ll be lost as the hairgrass grows in

I tend to agree ;)

Back