Heteranthera zosterifolia problems

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by andy, 5 Dec 2007.

1. andy

andy Member

I have....sorry had, a gorgeous clump of HZ...growing really nicely and a major focal point in my tank.

But in the last week, it has gone black and melted away....almost like a tender terrestrial plant goes when it gets frosted.

This has coincided with me using Tetra Easy Balance.

It is right under 3 x 18w triplus T8 tubes and all other plants are doing well. However someone suggested that the plant needs high nitrates/nitrites or it will go black. I'm pretty sure Easy Balance claims to reduce nitrates too.

Any suggestions and if it is a nitrate deficiency, how do i "cure" it apart from chucking loads of food at my 50 odd cardinals ?

Many thanks

Andy

2. andy

andy Member

36 views and no one can help me :?

Oh well....maybe i'm asking too many questions :oops:

3. milla

milla Member

HZ requires strong light and frequent pruning in order to make sure enough light reaches the lower leaves or they will blacken and die.

Not sure of size of tank so can not say wether you have enough lighting.

To add N you can use dry salts- KNO3 or pre-mixed like tpn+ both available from AE.

4. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

If you do add N then forget about easy balance as like you say it will remove nitrate. I've not heard of adding nitrite. Sorry about the delayed reply it seems to have gone unnoticed.

5. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

No, not really. Everyone is out Christmas shopping :lol:

From what I'm able ascertain about Tetra Easy Balance, It appears to be one of the "liquid zeolite" products with trace elements added. Zeolite is a mineral which has the property of attracting and holding ammonia. I'm just guessing that's what it is though but regardless, if you are running a low tech planted tank, meaning that you are using low light, are not injecting CO2 and are not supplementing Nitrates, Phosphates and Potassium, then any product which removes N, P or K from the water column is bad news for plants. :(

If you were not already supplementing Nitrates then the only means for the plants to obtain their nitrogen is through the ammonia generated by waste, and nitrates generated by the oxidation of ammonia by bacteria.

Check these threads which also discuss deficiencies and they will give you an idea of how and what to dose:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595
    http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537
    http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564

Cheers