• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hey guys what the best dry power trace I can get?

Vito

Hey everyone I am currently using trace from gardens direct and my kn03 and kh2po4 is from there also i believe, I have quite alot of trace left but I think i need to replace it as im not getting the results in my tank, im growing HC only in the tank and the emmersed growth was great but now submerged its taking long than expected and also its more straggly and leave are becoming yellow, I suspect it might be the quality of the trace I bought it well over a year ago and I dose as recommended on james planted tank site for a 150-225 litre tank.
I just want to know whats the best one out there

Hi Vito

I don't know if this is the best, but I am using the equivalent of this
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=3904
with good results, and I grew HC with it in my last set up :D .
If the leaves are yellowing something is definitely wrong.
Can we assume you have addressed all the usual suspects like CO2 and distribution? I found HC just loves CO2.
If you still suspect it's your Trace, why not try increasing the strength of the dose and that should fix your problem. It may be that it's low in one or two key ingredients. After any adjustment, you would have to leave it around 3 weeks to see if there is any noticeable difference.
If you post the composition of the ingredients we may be able to judge it better for you :D .

Chris

Well I was running the co2 at a rate that was too fast to count and I noticed plant deficincies so I lowerd it to 4bps, a week later the plants do seem a little healthier but the growth rate seems to slowed down. I have just increased the lights from 6 to 7 hours so im going to run that for a week and note the effects, I do have about 5 Fe's laying around so I can experiment with co2 and not worry about running out. I am concerned about raising my trace dosage as I have read it can contain more iron than others which if overdosed could be lethal to my shrimp.

Hi Vito
The Trace that I linked to contains the following:
Boron 1.06%
Copper 0.23%
Iron 8.2%
Manganese 1.82%
Molybdenum 0.15%
Zinc 1.16%

The reason I mention this is just for your info.
During my experimenting days I dosed double the amount of Trace recommended in the EI tutorial, to see what happens, and my shrimp were fine. However I did not see any improved plant performance (so I assumed there must have been plenty of everything the plants needed), so I've dropped back down to EI recommended amounts.
Most people stress about Copper more than Iron when it comes to shrimp and, as it didn't affect my shrimp, I don't stress about either ;)

Chris

Back