• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi all!

Shakeable69

Seedling
Hi!
I've just spent a few days researching planting tanks and aquascaping and finally o seem to have found a good forum! Yay!
I've had tanks for many years now, I started with a fluval 90, then an aquacube 40l, then a biorb 60 (yuck), and now I've got a small fish r fun 20l. Over the Years the tanks were more for fish than anything else, i would put a few plants there and when they died they got replaced, only one anubia has lasted me a long time, and that's about 3 years in the frf!
Anyhow, I want to start a new tank now, and want it planted and scaped nicely! So I'm reading on fertilizers, co2, liquid carb, all sorts, ennught to make me feel dizzy, but excited to get on with it!
The tanks I've been looking at are the superfish home 60 or dennerle scrapers tank set, but now I read there might be a home 80 coming out soon......
Sorry for the long intro, I'm sure I'll be picking ur brains soon! I'll just get on with reading more!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Here is the set up I have now, its a fish r fun 20l, the filter is in the hood and rated at 200lph, the light is a cfl 5w, cool white, 8hours a day.
The substrate is cat litter, not been changed since set up over 5 years ago, there are 2 anubias, one in rock and another one in ceramic bamboo kind of shelter.
The fish are 6 small tetras and 3 sunshine mollies, there are also 5 cherry shrimp.
I've never used fert or carbon or co2.
Water changes at 20% weekly and filter cleaned every few weeks.
The aim is to get this tank looking decent, to get the basics right, I understand that it is extremely basic and there isn't a lot to work with.
So the question is, what low light plants would do OK here? Is it worth to fert and use carbon or even co2? The light is in a encased unit, but is there a small set of LEDs that could be attached to the hood?
Hopefully in a few months I'll have a new set up to play with but baby steps.....

Here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20160114_132342.jpg
    IMG_20160114_132342.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 92
I've never used fert or carbon or co2.

Your Anubias back that up.

In all seriousness, start with the tutorials.

Take a look at the Tropica website and their list of 'easy' plants. You shouldn't go wrong from that list.

I would suggest getting some ferts though as those plants need it.

Oh, and welcome to UKAPS!

Hi! I've had a bit of a reshuffle on the tank trying to make it a better!
I went to the London aquatic design centre shop by Oxford circus and got a few plants and tree roots, iva got some java fern petite and anubias Nana, and some marsilea hirsuta.
I've added some tropica co2, the one with the gas holder, don't know if it's any good, some tropica premium fertiliser and easycarbo, hopefully this will be enough to have the marsilea grow! Plants are on a 8 hour circle with a 2 hour rest in the middle, so we will see how it goes!

Attachments

• IMG_20160126_165123.jpg
    IMG_20160126_165123.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 93
Here is a pic of the entire tank, excuse the salad fork! I forgot that new wood floats! I should move it and attatch the plats properly next week once the wood stays underwater, and hopefully by then I'll know if the marsilea is spreading.

Attachments

• IMG_20160126_165809.jpg
    IMG_20160126_165809.jpg
    931.2 KB · Views: 90
Here is a pic pf the final arangement, the marsilea seems to be growing new shoots and im pleased with the result, lets see in a couple of weeks how things progress!

Attachments

• 14543593216371298461931.jpg
    14543593216371298461931.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 87
Hi and welcome to the forum, good to see your getting stuck in :) enjoy

Hi and welcome, as a new comer myself, I'm sure you'll find UKAPS a great resource, it's the best place I've found for reliable info and helpful people.

Back