• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bopowarls

Hi Everyone,

Complete noob here. Basically a couple of week ago I decided I wanted a fish tank. I assumed i'd just get a tank, fill it with water and add some sunken pirate ships and done. Little did I know...

I knew nothing at all about proper aquascaping and the 'science' behind it. After a few weeks of reading I've now got a basic understanding of aquascaping styles, substrates, Hi-tech and Low-Tech set ups, lighting and its importance, fertilizers, dosing, Co2 gas injection, liquid Co2, tank cycling, plants etc etc. I am now completely hooked and really excited about getting set up. Got lots more reading and learning to do so any help down the way would be really appreciated.

I've got a new Fluval Edge 23l on order and I ordered that before really looking into thing properly so I'm aware its going to be a b#&*h to work with (small opening at the top). I thought it was by far the best / modern looking tank and I will be the best suited one to match the decor / style of our house.

I plan to go with an Iwagumi style and keep it really simple. Not sure I want to spend a premium on special rocks like manten when I have the welsh countryside on my doorstep with granite rocks available for free (may not look as boney as a manten style rock but I can't justify spending money for something that can be had for free). Would like a green granite be ok in an aquarium? I've looked online and appears it should be OK.

I plan to go with a hemianthus callitrichoides carpet. That's pretty much it.

Would I need to go with co2 for this type of set up?

Can anyone recommend a heater that may be good with the fluval edge?

Any tips or advice would be great appreciate!

Thanks Everyone.

Owen

Welcome@Ukaps!
If being a complete noob i would advise starting low tech ( you didn't get your first driving leson in a Ferrari did you:D)
Go with easy plants ( see the Tropica website) and low light ( there are many beautifull low tech tanks so that doesn;'t have to hold you back)
You can choose a soiled tank (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/) or just some riversand ( just have to fertilise the plants)
If you get a low tech ( https://www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/el-natural-low-tech.27/ ) healthy and growing ( wich doesn't need all kind of more expensive gear) then decide if you want more.

Hi all,
Would like a green granite be ok in an aquarium?
You are fine, all old hard rock is OK. If you have a wide choice I'd discard any bits with obvious quartz inclusions or pyrites deposits as they could possibly contain mineral deposits of copper (Cu), zinc (Zn) or arsenic (As).

Granite isn't usually green, the rock they sell as "Criggion Green Granite" is <"really dolerite">.
I plan to go with a hemianthus callitrichoides carpet. That's pretty much it. Would I need to go with co2 for this type of set up?
You would, it doesn't really enjoy life submerged.

cheers Darrel

Back