• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from Bristol, UK.

Tomiam

longtime aquarist, but very new to growing plants.
Ive spent a lot of time over the last few weeks increasing my knowledge from these forums so figured it was time to sign up.
About 5 weeks from now ive got a 90 x 26 x 30" (l x w x h) aquarium arriving and would love to pack out a section with low light plants. Anubis, moss etc.
No doubt i'll be asking questions :)

Thanks. :) The best plant forum I found by far. :D
Its all a big learning curve for me. I've had a 6 x 2 x 2 before but that was ocean rock + cichlids. Never bothered with plants in all my years of keeping fish, but now I've got the bug.
Spent a lot of time over the last week reading up & learning about lumens, par, pur, spectrums and all manner of things which gave me a headache :) Then I found posts by Hoppy and had to get a drink before continuing.... :D Absolute gold mine of info which I think I managed to understand.

Including the sump (60 x 17 x 18) I make my aquarium to be about 1300 litres. Was going to be dosing liquid ferts but through someone on these forums posted about making your own mix from https://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/, its going to save me a LOT of money :)
All in all it's a great adventure , albeit an expensive one, and thus far a lot of fun. I've got a bit of knowledge, and am aiming myself towards the easy plants. Mosses and Anubias to begin with, see how we get on and then start adding a few at a time. Rather than jump in with hundreds of plants and kill them all through (insert something I don't yet know about). Plus adding a few plants every now and again keeps it interesting :D

I'll update this thread with progress pics. At the moment it'd just be a big pile of boxes (auto doser, heating controller, pleco caves, substrate etc) and a 5ft x 30" piece of bogwood I'm off to grab tomorrow. Should look pretty awesome as it's tall enough to break the surface.
Aquarium arrives in about... 6 weeks or so.

Got 4 x Fluval 3.0 today in readyness for the big tank.
Immediately put one on the 200l i got to see the difference and its light years ahead (pun completely intended) of the crappy led that was in there.
Co2 pro reg & kit arrived from Co2 Art in Germany and a 10ltr bottle of Co2 is due to arrive tomorrow at work for me. I was going to.go.liquid carbon but then read that some moss dont like it and.. CO2 injection is basically a huge amount better.
Ive got some flame moss s.glued to a piece of bogwood and some java moss on a coconut shell.
Amano shrimp are settled in the tank.
This weekend i shall rig up the CO2 and away we go!
Plan is to get a bit of experience in the next 2 weeks before big tank arrives.
I understand that moss doesnt need a huge amount of CO2, and ive not got more than 2 small bits of moss in the tank so will aim for 5 to 10ppm.
Oh and got the starter set from aquarium plant food .co.uk based on advice here.
Advice welcomed but am slightly excited to say the least :)

Welcome :)

You should restart this thread over in the Journals Forum

Hi and welcome to ukaps love the sound of your tank hope all goes well for you and will follow the journey with interest

Cheers
Jay

Back